State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Game On C

Post by bernard »

Game On Wiki
Game On Test Exchange 2017
Past Threads: 2016
Past Question Marathons: 2015
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
zent
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Game On C

Post by zent »

How are other partners splitting up the Game On jobs? For example during the actual competition do you take turns building the game on the computer or does one person code and the other fulfill a support role? In training for it do both of you practice coding or does one of you memorize the rubric and provide creative input while the other codes?

Thanks
mvgo

Post by mvgo »

The way we do it is one person is the coder, and the other person provides other things such as overall game play, artistic drawings, a 2nd pair of eyes for bugs, etc.
Abekitt
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Abekitt »

Now, for Game On (noob here) is there a template people follow and try to get done ASAP to get the max points. Do you have a specific game in mind like a maze or something and just build the game around it, because I have no idea what process to do or to even aim for to get a lot of points and how I should organize things with my partner
Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

Abekitt wrote:Now, for Game On (noob here) is there a template people follow and try to get done ASAP to get the max points. Do you have a specific game in mind like a maze or something and just build the game around it, because I have no idea what process to do or to even aim for to get a lot of points and how I should organize things with my partner
In general, you try and have a basic idea of the type of game you want to make (e.g maze, pong, etc) before you go into the competition and you fit the theme to match that game by changing colors, titles, characters, etc. As for trying to maximize points - you just try to do the things on the rubric (which are, admittedly, sometimes vague) as well as you can.
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

I don't see much strategic value in the template game approach because template games hit the basic game components well but not so much depth of knowledge with the given topic. Put another way, it's easy to tell which teams learned to make one game and shoehorn it onto whatever topic they were given. It might work, and...it might not.
AidsToaster

Post by AidsToaster »

To agree, those games will never place top because changing a sprite to resemble a concept in the theme isnt legitamitely incorporating science
CVMSAvalacheStudent

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

Game On is done in Scratch right? Is it possible to download Scratch and how much would it cost?
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by JasperKota »

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:Game On is done in Scratch right? Is it possible to download Scratch and how much would it cost?
Scratch is completely free and yes it's possible to download the offline editor right here - https://scratch.mit.edu/scratch2download/. You can also just use it in your web browser.
2020 Events: Fossils, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff, Ping Pong Parachute
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives
CVMSAvalacheStudent

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

JasperKota wrote:
CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:Game On is done in Scratch right? Is it possible to download Scratch and how much would it cost?
Scratch is completely free and yes it's possible to download the offline editor right here - https://scratch.mit.edu/scratch2download/. You can also just use it in your web browser.
Thanks
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs

Return to “2017 Lab Events”