Blocks Task

missionimpossible
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Blocks Task

Post by missionimpossible »

That should work but in order to stack the blocks, you have to drop them instead of pulling them up. Just coat the blocks in metal to have them complete a circuit.[/quote]

How could it be dropped without falling over? Do you have any ideas that possibly incorporates other tasks?
Gooblah

Post by Gooblah »

So the team's come up with a few ideas:
1) Stolen from soinc.org: Paper clips between each block, and then solenoid pulls out the paper clips. The blocks fall onto each other and stack, ostensibly doing...something.
2) Drill a hole through the blocks and stick a dowel in there. The dowel starts horizontally and then swings vertical, dropping the blocks in a stack. However, there are several problems; namely, the blocks drop off one by one instead of as a stack, so instead of a vertical stack we have a horizontal mess.
3) Same as above, but a curved track so to speak catches each block and drops it into a stack.

Originally we were going with Idea #1, but with the outlawed corral. Dropped the corral, tried Idea #2. Switching to Idea #3, but while it's great in theory, actually forming the right curve and stuff is pretty difficult. Any other suggestions?
Events: Remote Sensing, Chem. Lab, It's About Time, Dynamic Planet, Mission Possible, Env. Chem. The latter two I found out I had to do 4 weeks before Regionals. Fun, fun, fun.
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

JTMess wrote:
missionimpossible wrote:Sooo I was thinking that I could have a string through each block and then have something pull it up...but i am not sure what...maybe the IMA 3 pulley thing
I have no idea what to make it do though...how would i use it as part of a circuit or something with magnets...
Also is there another way i can do this, possible involving another step :?:
That should work but in order to stack the blocks, you have to drop them instead of pulling them up. Just coat the blocks in metal to have them complete a circuit.
Why do you have to drop them? Pulling them up with a string has been valid at the two competitions I've been at.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
nationalsapipedream
State: TX

Post by nationalsapipedream »

So are all these clarifications only going to be available to national coordinators and judges? I was unable to find the clarifications that all of you guys have mentioned concerning the blocks on the soinc.org website. Out of both of the meets I've now been to I have seen 3 teams use the SAME method for stacking. They have lined them up on a board and raised the board into a corral or wall or corner. Either way they are violating the rules as clarified by the submissions that you guys have sent in. However all of them were given full credit for the task.

So at the state level are the judges going to know about these clarifications or only have their best judgement?

P.S. I'm in Texas and it's run by Aggies, who are usually a little more lax and lenient.
Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

nationalsapipedream wrote:So are all these clarifications only going to be available to national coordinators and judges? I was unable to find the clarifications that all of you guys have mentioned concerning the blocks on the soinc.org website. Out of both of the meets I've now been to I have seen 3 teams use the SAME method for stacking. They have lined them up on a board and raised the board into a corral or wall or corner. Either way they are violating the rules as clarified by the submissions that you guys have sent in. However all of them were given full credit for the task.

So at the state level are the judges going to know about these clarifications or only have their best judgement?

P.S. I'm in Texas and it's run by Aggies, who are usually a little more lax and lenient.
It doesn't say a corral is illegal, it just says that it will be up to the judges to determine whether or not the blocks are fully supported. This is a bit scary, because you are flying without a net - if the judge rules against you, you have no grounds for appeal.

Here is the FAQ: http://soinc.org/node/651
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

nationalsapipedream wrote:So are all these clarifications only going to be available to national coordinators and judges? I was unable to find the clarifications that all of you guys have mentioned concerning the blocks on the soinc.org website.
There are 2 types of postings on the soinc.org website you need to check:
1. The official clarifications (where specific rules are cited and modified / updated) at http://soinc.org/official_rules_clarif
2. The event FAQs (where specific situations / intepretations are discussed) at http://soinc.org/frequently_asked_questions

The mission possible FAQs are all listed at: http://soinc.org/node/297

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

If I was to use string running through holes in the blocks, and then pulling the string vertical to raise the blocks method, could I use the pulley system to raise the blocks. But then the pulley system isn't actually going to "lift a mass". Could I tie a mass to the end of the string in the pulley system, and then attach the string for the blocks onto the mass?
Did that make any sense?
sciencegeek100
State: CA

Post by sciencegeek100 »

Flavorflav wrote:I'm thinking you could line the blocks up on a hinged board and then raise the other end. You would need some sort of a corral to keep them stacked, though, which raises a question: if the block is touching a vertical wall, technically there is a tiny frictional force supporting the block. Do you think judges are likely to count this as not being supported entirely by the block underneath?
if the wall could be moved w/o the stack tipping its fine
Nationals History...

2008: Team 1st, Rocks 2nd
2009: Team 3rd, Fossils 7th
2010: Team 5th, Fossils 4th, Ornithology 7th Egg o Naut 6th
2011: Team 4th, Ornithology 3rd
2012: Team 2nd (Assistant Coach)
2013: Team 3rd (Assistant Coach)
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

Just wondering, for those of you that said you were going to cut the string after the blocks are stacked, how are you going to do that? The rules prohibit any sharp objects.
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

illusionist wrote:Just wondering, for those of you that said you were going to cut the string after the blocks are stacked, how are you going to do that? The rules prohibit any sharp objects.
You could just have the blocks laying there and pick them up (assuming that they were strung together) somehow. I don't think cutting would even be necessary once you have stacked the blocks. That means you've accomplished the task, and nothing more needs to be done at that point!
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).

Return to “Mission Possible C”