Reach for the Stars B

tying15
Division: B
State: KS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Reach for the Stars B

Post by tying15 »

I don't believe they were using Yerkes. I'm almost positive they were using Harvard's method. It was multiple choice and they were all letters. I think it was A, B, and O.
I got 2nd place in WIDI Kansas state competition in 2010-2011!
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

Yes, O is the hottest class of stars. B and A come after O. No debate. Should've been marked right, unless perhaps there's some part of the question that you're missing?
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
Epicfail21
State: CA

Post by Epicfail21 »

Does anyone know have any scores for the R.C. Murphy/P. J. Gelinas Scrimmage?
I'm just little curious to see how everyone else did on that test.
pjgscioisamazing
State: NY

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

Epicfail21 wrote:Does anyone know have any scores for the R.C. Murphy/P. J. Gelinas Scrimmage?
All I can remember is that the top two scores were tied with 95. I don't remember the rest.
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
Epicfail21

Post by Epicfail21 »

pjgscioisamazing wrote:
Epicfail21 wrote:Does anyone know have any scores for the R.C. Murphy/P. J. Gelinas Scrimmage?
All I can remember is that the top two scores were tied with 95. I don't remember the rest.
Thank you very much!
ilovecatsyl
State: CO

Post by ilovecatsyl »

HELLO!!! xD
New here....me and my friend just got second place for regional......I'd like to know what to expect for state. By any chance is their ascension and declination on that test? I've got a feeling that there wont be lines connecting the constellations to help identification. Do they want anything to do with binary (or more) stars (like you know, what are the types, which ones are the closets, etc). My friend has looked through some of the test exchanges, and she said it seems like we're okay...I'm worried though.

I tried identifying constellations using stellarium...let me just say, i'm not making progress >.<
Any tips or help will be gladly received, thanks guys!
Epicfail21

Post by Epicfail21 »

I learned by using flash cards, they definitely help when it comes to learning how to ID constellations.
XJcwolfyX
Division: C

Post by XJcwolfyX »

I took it by myself and I got an 88. But I did not know anything about standard candles and all that, and now I do. SO my score should have been 5-6 points higher.

Also, for State, they will most likely have no connected constellations. And knowing the right ascension and declination of the stars can be helpful if you get a star chart.

Binary systems are a good thing to know, so you should definitely study them.
Medal Counter: 73
ilovecatsyl
State: CO

Post by ilovecatsyl »

Alright thanks!

Back to that right ascension and declination thing:
So is the right ascension the amount of time from which the star/constellation rises and sets? If so how does tie in with longitude and a star chart?
Declination makes a little more sense. I'm pretty sure it's the latitude in which the star/constellation appears in?
Schrodingerscat
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat »

ilovecatsyl wrote:Alright thanks!

Back to that right ascension and declination thing:
So is the right ascension the amount of time from which the star/constellation rises and sets? If so how does tie in with longitude and a star chart?
Declination makes a little more sense. I'm pretty sure it's the latitude in which the star/constellation appears in?
The actual calculations of an objects position based upon these coordinates involves a fair amount of trigonometry which you would likely not be expected to know for this event. However, the the right ascension is the local sidereal time when the star reaches its peak altitude. This is a clock that runs a few minutes shorter than 24 hours to have a 364 day year accounting for the suns relative motion through the celestial sphere, which the normal clock is designed to keep at the same time. This time is also unique the observers longitude to perfectly account for it, as opposed to the rougher system of time zones. Declination can be used a little more easily with the observer's latitude. It tells you that the North Celestial Pole (or south if in the southern hemisphere) is at an angle to the horizon equal to your latitude. The celestial equator will be be at that angle to the zenith, and the complement of that angle to the horizon. The complement of your latitude will also tell you whether a star is circumpolar. (Eg at 40 degrees N, and star between 50 and 90 degrees declination will be circumpolar.) Finally, the negative complement of your latitude will tell you how far or south (oppose of your hemisphere) you can see in the celestial sphere. (So at 40 degrees I can see stars from -50 to 90 declination). This could also be used to see a star, as if I wanted to see a star at -80 declination, I know I would need to travel below 10 degrees North to be able to see it at all. Also for why it would be useful with a star chart: general purpose sky maps will often use this system for a grid, so you might be able to use the coordinates to find it quicker. (Or maybe a chart they give your in competition would have some coordinates that would help you identify).

Return to “2012 Study Events”