Reach for the Stars B

Re: Reach for the Stars B

Postby rfscoach on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:53 am

foreverphysics wrote:So how likely are the chances going to be that they're going to have a planetarium at Nats? Because my partner and I have had about zero experience with actual looking-and-finding. The only constellation I can ever find is Orion, and sometimes Ursa Minor.

Based on the room currently assigned, I'd say that it will either be pencil/paper or powerpoint. http://www.scienceolympiad2012.com/tournament-info/b-events-and-rooms/b-reach-for-the-stars/
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
rfscoach
Coach
Coach

Division: B
State: GA

Postby wolf0813 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi! I'm new to this forum. My team is going to our state competition and my reach 4 the stars team got 8th place last time. :( Have any tips for me?
wolf0813

State: KS

Postby foreverphysics on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:06 pm

Well, you could always look through the thread and go to the websites linked on this forum. That's generally a good idea. Then if you have any more specific questions, come ask us.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
foreverphysics
Wiki Mod
Wiki Mod

Division: C
State: -

Postby triplej on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:43 pm

hey guys...just wondering what's a good way to learn how to identify stars with a star chart because I got put on this event in regionals and messed up badly not knowing a lot of it was constellations and not single star identification. And I've looked at the practice tests and can do most all the other stuff but I have no idea how to learn or do this.
triplej

State: TN

Postby Epicfail21 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:04 am

triplej wrote:hey guys...just wondering what's a good way to learn how to identify stars with a star chart because I got put on this event in regionals and messed up badly not knowing a lot of it was constellations and not single star identification. And I've looked at the practice tests and can do most all the other stuff but I have no idea how to learn or do this.

did u read the previous post above yours?
Epicfail21

State: CA

Postby sazhassan on Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:50 pm

hi guys! I'm in my school's Reach for the Stars team and we did really well in regional... but it was surprisingly easy. I reserched more and found more practice tests, but I was wondering... about how much harder is this event going to get? I had a bad experience with anatomy being easy in Invitational, and we ended up going one rank down in regionals... I don't want the same thing to happen with RFTS... :?

Can some one give me an idea about the progression of difficulty in this even from Regionals to States? This is my first year to Science Olympiad... and I've been working hard...
My 1st season of SO:
Optics - (5th, 4th)
Water Quality - (3rd, 7th)
Compute This - (2nd, 5th)
Reach for the Stars - (1st, 2nd)
Experimental Design - (3rd, 7th)
Anatomy - (2nd, 2nd)
Team: 3rd, 4th

2013 events:
Anatomy, Reach for the Stars, water quality, meteorology, dynamic planet
sazhassan

Location: On my laptop, making notes for one of my 6 test events... ^-^
State: MD

Postby ReBobville on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:19 pm

From my experience, it really depends on WHO writes your test. For example, the SE PA meteorology test writer has a reputation for writing REALLY CHALLENGING tests (which I like) Sure enough, this year, the test was hard (but my team got 1st ) However, the PA state test in meteorology is normally easy. So, if you know anything about who is writing the test, that can be really helpful. However, as a general rule, know everything on the rule sheet. If your test writer writes a hard test, expect everything to bee there (In other words, KNOW YOUR CONSTELLATIONS, DSO'S, STARS, AND STELLER EVOLUTION!!)
Event Places:
2014 Regional (SE): Astronomy: 2 Geologic Mapping: 3
2014 PA States: Astronomy: TBA Geologic Mapping: TBA
ReBobville

State: PA

Postby Hosj on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:16 am

One of the practice tests I took asked me what stage of evolution Pollux is. I answered red giant, and the key said it was wrong. :?

Same with Cappela. Because it's a triple star, I said, 2 red giants, 2 red dwarfs. It was looking for Main sequence. :?

States is a week away!
http://atlantisgovernment.prophpbb.com/
A political simulation, for anyone who is interested.
Hosj

Postby rfscoach on Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:07 pm

Hosj wrote:One of the practice tests I took asked me what stage of evolution Pollux is. I answered red giant, and the key said it was wrong. :?

Same with Cappela. Because it's a triple star, I said, 2 red giants, 2 red dwarfs. It was looking for Main sequence. :?

States is a week away!

Was it the 2008 National test? There are 3 mistakes on the answer key dealing evolutionary phases of stars. Also most tests makers will only want the evolutionary phase on the main star in a binary or bigger system. If they want more detail than that, they will find a way to make it clean in the question.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
rfscoach
Coach
Coach

State: GA

Postby sazhassan on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Hosj wrote:One of the practice tests I took asked me what stage of evolution Pollux is. I answered red giant, and the key said it was wrong. :?

States is a week away!

Hey Hey! I'm in your states! Good luck! (even though im in another school)
Oh and I was also wondering (general question) what are the most important things that I should put in my notes? I have a lot information and it helped me in regionals! :D but I want to add more... :geek:
My 1st season of SO:
Optics - (5th, 4th)
Anatomy - (2nd, 2nd)

2013 events:
sazhassan

Postby sazhassan on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:23 pm

ReBobville wrote:From my experience, it really depends on WHO writes your test. For example, the SE PA meteorology test writer has a reputation for writing REALLY CHALLENGING tests (which I like) Sure enough, this year, the test was hard (but my team got 1st ) However, the PA state test in meteorology is normally easy. So, if you know anything about who is writing the test, that can be really helpful. However, as a general rule, know everything on the rule sheet. If your test writer writes a hard test, expect everything to bee there (In other words, KNOW YOUR CONSTELLATIONS, DSO'S, STARS, AND STELLER EVOLUTION!!)

Hey Hey! Thanks! And our test writer for regionals made it really simple that me and my partner walked out of room 40 minutes before the time was up. Ehhhh... then again states could be like another step harder... I know most of the constellations by heart and I try my best to know the stars and DSOs... Stellar Evolution is really easy in my opinion...

STATES IN 6 DAYS! :o (secretly freaking out and cramming for my events... :shock: )
My 1st season of SO:
Optics - (5th, 4th)
Anatomy - (2nd, 2nd)

2013 events:
sazhassan

Postby ReBobville on Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm

States is a week away!

I agree. Normally on tests, if they ask for info on a star, respond with the appropriate answer for the main star (So, if Sirius is asked for, do Sirius A NOT Sirius B)

Also, if you are not sure, ask your supervisor! they may be able to end the confusion!!!
Event Places:
ReBobville

Postby ReBobville on Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:27 pm

Be sure you know the DSO's in different wavelengths. (Also, it's good to know general "fun facts" about each DSO!)
Event Places:
ReBobville

Postby sazhassan on Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:30 pm

ReBobville wrote:Be sure you know the DSO's in different wavelengths. (Also, it's good to know general "fun facts" about each DSO!)

where can i find these fun facts?? I see some in practice test but not all the time...

STATES IN FIVE DAYS :o
My 1st season of SO:
Optics - (5th, 4th)
Anatomy - (2nd, 2nd)

2013 events:
sazhassan

Postby ReBobville on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:48 pm

I just entered the name of the DSO into google. (found the date that it was observed, etc.) Just be sure that your source has the date right!! (cross-reference sources etc.)
Event Places:
ReBobville

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Study Events