triplej
Division: C
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Reach for the Stars B

Post by triplej »

Epicfail21 wrote:
triplej wrote:hey guys...just wondering what's a good way to learn how to identify stars with a star chart because I got put on this event in regionals and messed up badly not knowing a lot of it was constellations and not single star identification. And I've looked at the practice tests and can do most all the other stuff but I have no idea how to learn or do this.
did u read the previous post above yours?
yea i did, i just can't seem to find a good way to do it...looked at the wiki, went through the tests, still don't understand it and state's 2 weeks away!!!! yea, and i really don't have time to go stargazing- i live in a city and have a ton of hw. and it probably would'nt help anyways. I know how to identify a constellation by itself if it's all connected and everything but on a big sky chart where we have to do multiple ones it's really hard for me.
ReBobville
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by ReBobville »

Learning the astrariums (I know that I spelled it wrong) really helped me with this problem (hevenley G, summer triangle)
Strath Haven High School- 2015
Purdue University- 2019
sazhassan
Division: B
State: MD

Post by sazhassan »

ReBobville wrote:Learning the astrariums (I know that I spelled it wrong) really helped me with this problem (hevenley G, summer triangle)
Summer triangle was something used in our States, in our constellation identification part. It is a helpful memory tool to use. But to no avail. :oops:
I got 2nd in States.
My 1st season of SO:
Optics - (5th, 4th)
Water Quality - (3rd, 7th)
Compute This - (2nd, 5th)
Reach for the Stars - (1st, 2nd)
Experimental Design - (3rd, 7th)
Anatomy - (2nd, 2nd)
Team: 3rd, 4th

2013 events:
Anatomy, Reach for the Stars, water quality, meteorology, dynamic planet
tying15
State: KS

Post by tying15 »

Hey does anyone really know what we need the red flashlight for?
I got 2nd place in WIDI Kansas state competition in 2010-2011!
XJcwolfyX
Division: C

Post by XJcwolfyX »

tying15 wrote:Hey does anyone really know what we need the red flashlight for?
This is just in case the event supervisor uses a power point presentation for the test. This means the lights would be off and you could not be able to see your cheat sheet. The red flashlight is so you can see your cheat sheet, but it does not damage your vision when you look back at the power point presentation because red wavelengths have the least amount of energy.
Medal Counter: 73
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by AlphaTauri »

XJcwolfyX wrote:
tying15 wrote:Hey does anyone really know what we need the red flashlight for?
This is just in case the event supervisor uses a power point presentation for the test. This means the lights would be off and you could not be able to see your cheat sheet. The red flashlight is so you can see your cheat sheet, but it does not damage your vision when you look back at the power point presentation because red wavelengths have the least amount of energy.
While I suppose you could use it for that, that's not the original purpose of the red-filtered flashlight. It's in case they hold the event inside a planetarium (inflatable or otherwise). Some of the stars may be faint enough that if you use a regular flashlight to see your notes, the rod receptors in your eyes won't adjust to the darkness enough to let you see those stars - it's akin to walking into a dark room from a brightly lit one. And while red light is the least destructive to your night vision, you still want to avoid accidentally looking into the flashlight...trust me, it's a bad idea.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
Epicfail21
State: CA

Post by Epicfail21 »

Anyone ready for their state competition coming up this month?
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

Our State was almost exactly a month ago...so it's more like, "Are you prepared for Nationals?" Which I am most definitely not.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Looking at the wiki, it appears that about half of the team slots for nationals are filled. So for half it's be "Are you prepared for states?" and for the other half it's "Are you prepared for nationals?" Either way, the general gist of panic is there. :P
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

Pretty much, get a lot of astro books, read them a lot, and get your partner to read some. How else did we get first at Regs? :P
We haven't had states... they're on Saturday... SO NERVOUSFUL...
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE

Return to “2012 Study Events”