Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Designs

Post by eta150 »

Frogger4907 wrote:
mawa_chee wrote:
jazzy090 wrote:I called the nice people up at freedom flights and they were kind enough to respec the design for this year.
You can order a legal design right now!
Is this true? I've been on the site and I can't seem to find the new model. If you can help me find where to order it, it will be greatly appreciated! :)
http://www.freedomflightmodels.com/paypal.htm
^It still shows you the old one, but he'll send the new one without you asking
#ACESWILD
mircat
Division: C
State: MI

Post by mircat »

What's the deal with the "flat balsa wood disc" that is required on the helicopter? What are the rules about the way it should be attached?

I mean, can we just glue it to the upper most part of the helicopter? ...but now I am left wondering how it could be dislodged.
eta150
State: PA

Post by eta150 »

mircat wrote:What's the deal with the "flat balsa wood disc" that is required on the helicopter? What are the rules about the way it should be attached?

I mean, can we just glue it to the upper most part of the helicopter? ...but now I am left wondering how it could be dislodged.
It was an addition to the rules because of the problem with the vertical ceiling prods becoming lodged in cracks and keeping the helicopters up. This led to an incredible number of rules disputes, including one that took away my 12 minute flight at states :lol: . This flat balsa disc is typically attached to the top of a ceiling prod.

Just a side note, I'm impressed with the rules committees for finding a solution this effective to what was a pretty bad problem.
#ACESWILD
lucwilder42

Post by lucwilder42 »

I don't think it's a solution at all. The point on last year's copters kept them in one place. The disc lets the copter travel all over the ceiling and is ten times as likely to lead to a stuck helicopter.
I'm just here to build bridges
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Keep in mind that the concern wasn't about getting caught in the rafters, which is a pretty obvious time to stop on for the timers, but occurrences where the spike actually stuck into the ceiling in some cases, but not others that LOOKED the same from the floor and timers couldn't tell when to stop. With a large 'button' on top it can't drill in.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
lucwilder42

Post by lucwilder42 »

jander14indoor wrote:Keep in mind that the concern wasn't about getting caught in the rafters, which is a pretty obvious time to stop on for the timers, but occurrences where the spike actually stuck into the ceiling in some cases, but not others that LOOKED the same from the floor and timers couldn't tell when to stop. With a large 'button' on top it can't drill in.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Good point. Although we didn't try that last year because of the whole spirit of the rules thing, it was discussed :)
I'm just here to build bridges
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

So the topic of next year's rules was brought up on the Towers thread. Are we expecting to see Wright Stuff next year, or another year of Helicopter?
chia
State: IL

Post by chia »

Hm, was BLG (Balloon-Launch Glider) or some other gliding event ever in Division C? In that case maybe they'll bring that back...
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
thedoctor
State: NC

Post by thedoctor »

chia wrote:Hm, was BLG (Balloon-Launch Glider) or some other gliding event ever in Division C? In that case maybe they'll bring that back...
BLG was a Division B event I believe...
lucwilder42

Post by lucwilder42 »

thedoctor wrote:
chia wrote:Hm, was BLG (Balloon-Launch Glider) or some other gliding event ever in Division C? In that case maybe they'll bring that back...
BLG was a Division B event I believe...
I certainly hope it doesn't come back, I hated that event. I like my motors

Return to “Helicopters C”