Duration

wlsguy
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Duration

Post by wlsguy »

chalker7 wrote: .... It is entirely possible to build a 3.5g helicopter with just hobby shop balsa wood and (light) tissue paper. It's all in the wood selection and careful construction techniques.
Good advice.

Our helicopters last year were all less than 3.5 grams with larger rotors and solid motorsticks. We actually had to add weight to bring them up to 4.0g. The only specialized material we used was film covering rather than tissue paper. We have carbon fiber available but it really is more trouble than it's worth.

Also, since this is the duration thread, has anyone tried their helicopter this year (with 3.5g and unlimited motor size)? What kids of times are you getting?
lucwilder42
State: MI

Post by lucwilder42 »

I haven't begun experimenting yet, but I'm curious to find out how the unlimited rubber thing will work out. It's yet another variable we have to balance; winds vs. mass. Each copter will enforce its own rubber mass limit
I'm just here to build bridges
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

lucwilder42 wrote:I haven't begun experimenting yet, but I'm curious to find out how the unlimited rubber thing will work out. It's yet another variable we have to balance; winds vs. mass. Each copter will enforce its own rubber mass limit
Yep, in fact I'm not entirely convinced carrying 2 grams last year was ideal. I heard rumors of teams doing quite well with 1.5g or less (with the specific intention of cutting mass and unused winds).
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
jarrred_1415
State: OH

Post by jarrred_1415 »

4 minute flight
sciencegreek
Division: C
State: NY

Post by sciencegreek »

Is that time with a helicopter with this year's specs???
chalker7

Post by chalker7 »

sciencegreek wrote:Is that time with a helicopter with this year's specs???
I would not be surprised by a handful of teams going over 4 minutes this year (either with or without the bonus)
Hawaii State Director
purplepenguin
Division: B
State: AL

Flight Log

Post by purplepenguin »

I wasn't sure where to post it, but I have some questions about the flight log requirements.

Firstly, when they say motor size, what exactly are you supposed to measure?

Also, how do you measure torque?

Thanks so much to anyone who can help!
chalker7

Re: Flight Log

Post by chalker7 »

purplepenguin wrote:I wasn't sure where to post it, but I have some questions about the flight log requirements.

Since there aren't any details on motor size, it can be any metric you like. Many people use the width of the rubber motor, but other common measurements can include mass and/or length.

You measure torque with a torque meter. A torque meter is a simple torsion spring (just a straight piece of music wire) with a hook and dial indicator on the end. You can purchase them from a few different sources (such as www.f1d.biz) or build one from a wire and some brackets (you can find directions here: http://www.indoorspecialties.com/index1 ... l&ourl=D33 )
Hawaii State Director
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

purplepenguin wrote:I wasn't sure where to post it, but I have some questions about the flight log requirements.

Motor size is often measured as the width of the rubber. For example, you may have 3/32 and 1/16. These are very common starting points for members. If you don't understand what I mean, just ask.

Torque is measured using a torque meter. You can build one on your own (I'll post the instructions on how to build one when I find them on my computer somewhere). They often consist of a hook, a metal wire, and a dial. You hook the rubber on, and how much the metal wire twists will give you a relative measure of torque.

When trimming your helicopter for flight, the most useful measurements are rubber width, rubber winds, and torque. Although torque is a little more difficult to measure, I would definitely recommend recording it on your flight log.

Edit: Looks like chalker beat me to it... Oh well
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

i would agree with those two above me, except I measure rubber in terms of weight for 1 of my criteria and again with the width. By size, from last years weight limit of 2 grams, that made more sense than this one.

Is anyone incorporating metal wiring for their helicopter design, outside of maybe the hook for the rubber?
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion

Return to “Helicopters C”