Duration

baker
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Duration

Post by baker »

danyalukin wrote:Got a 2:10 minute flight in my basement tonight with a chinook, mass 3.86g, .125" rubber. A score of 6:30. Going to NY states this weekend. I'll post more info later, busy with other events right now. I'm not secretive about my design, ask if you have questions.

What time are you flying at states, we want to come watch..
lakersfan2012
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by lakersfan2012 »

does anyone know the reason for the actual flight at competition to be around 1:30? (from the NY state forum)
My user name is proof I was a Lakers fan before LeBron

4 years Div C - WI
6 years coaching - WI
1 year coaching (and counting) - MI
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

lakersfan2012 wrote:does anyone know the reason for the actual flight at competition to be around 1:30? (from the NY state forum)
I'm not sure what you mean by this; could you maybe rephrase the question?

danyalukin, what happened with states? Did your chinook work out?

I heard rumors of ward melville having a 2 minute flight time with a chinook for my division, but then again, they got disqualified. Does anyone from NY know anything about this?
lakersfan2012
State: MI

Post by lakersfan2012 »

twototwenty wrote:
lakersfan2012 wrote:does anyone know the reason for the actual flight at competition to be around 1:30? (from the NY state forum)
I'm not sure what you mean by this; could you maybe rephrase the question?

danyalukin, what happened with states? Did your chinook work out?

I heard rumors of ward melville having a 2 minute flight time with a chinook for my division, but then again, they got disqualified. Does anyone from NY know anything about this?

i was asking about danyalukin's chinook. on the New York state forum there were talks that the chinook from melville got around 1:30, i was wondering what caused the 2:10 in the basement to drop to a 1:30 in competition
My user name is proof I was a Lakers fan before LeBron

4 years Div C - WI
6 years coaching - WI
1 year coaching (and counting) - MI
Patmaster

Post by Patmaster »

Since I heard here that WM had a good Chinook going, when I found out they were going after my team (end of the 2:00 slot), I decided to stay a bit with my teammate and spectate.

The Chinook flew just fine, it's just that they didn't wind the rubber maximally. How they got DQ'd is for them to tell, I left after the first flight. I suspect it was because they either didn't make 2 official flights or they communicated with their team, who were outside the closed doors (with rather large windows).

Helicopters at 2:00 was such a long wait, but it was worth seeing the Chinook. The winding/loading/launching mechanism was quite ingenious.

I won't say too much, I'll let danyalukin say what he wants to about his event.
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

Patmaster wrote:Since I heard here that WM had a good Chinook going, when I found out they were going after my team (end of the 2:00 slot), I decided to stay a bit with my teammate and spectate.

The Chinook flew just fine, it's just that they didn't wind the rubber maximally. How they got DQ'd is for them to tell, I left after the first flight. I suspect it was because they either didn't make 2 official flights or they communicated with their team, who were outside the closed doors (with rather large windows).

Helicopters at 2:00 was such a long wait, but it was worth seeing the Chinook. The winding/loading/launching mechanism was quite ingenious.

I won't say too much, I'll let danyalukin say what he wants to about his event.
Have other teams in the past or on Saturday gotten DQ'd in New York for not making 2 official flights?
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

I dont even know if this is wy the wm helicopter got DQed...I only know thier c divsion team did because of one kid from made it apparent that it had to those around him at the awards ceremony.
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

twototwenty wrote:I dont even know if this is wy the wm helicopter got DQed...I only know thier c divsion team did because of one kid from made it apparent that it had to those around him at the awards ceremony.
Ok....but that isn't really the question I was asking. Has anyone (not just the possibility of Ward Melville) ever been DQ'd in New York for not completing two official flights? I assume this would be relatively well known, as every tournament I have ever supervised has had at least one team completing only a single flight for a variety of reasons.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
danyalukin

Post by danyalukin »

1:30 was just a very safe flight - i could have put at least 150 more winds into the rubber, but I was safe, because a 50 second chinook would've won states, and I didnt want anything to happen - the model was not too well tested for very high torques.

The reason for the 53rd place as opposed to 1st is not quite clear. It had nothing to do with my partner and mine's event performance - rather the fact that there was a misunderstanding between our coach and a head supervisor. Dont worry guys, this has nothing to do with the event itself.

I must say though that it was VERY BIG surprise that timing (8 mins) started once winding of the first flight began, not when the heli took off. This is the reason I did not have time for a second launch. Fitting in the 8 minute period is much more difficult for a heli builder - we have to wind FOUR rubber bands, not two. As a result, I suggest a very good strategy: make two jigs which would hold two stretched, wound motors, statically. During competition time:

1) Wind two motors for the first flight and launch helicopter. This should take about 3 minutes
2) WHILE THE HELICOPTER is in flight, wind the two other motors and place them on the motor-holder jigs. (go over the helicopter flight time if you have to, just leave the heli lying there until you are done). You will have about 3-2 minutes left.
3) load Heli with the wound rubber (takes about 1.5 minutes)
4) Launch second flight with a full 1 minute time remaining!

Good luck!
Off to Orlando!
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

danyalukin wrote:1:30 was just a very safe flight - i could have put at least 150 more winds into the rubber, but I was safe, because a 50 second chinook would've won states, and I didnt want anything to happen - the model was not too well tested for very high torques.

The reason for the 53rd place as opposed to 1st is not quite clear. It had nothing to do with my partner and mine's event performance - rather the fact that there was a misunderstanding between our coach and a head supervisor. Dont worry guys, this has nothing to do with the event itself.

I must say though that it was VERY BIG surprise that timing (8 mins) started once winding of the first flight began, not when the heli took off. This is the reason I did not have time for a second launch. Fitting in the 8 minute period is much more difficult for a heli builder - we have to wind FOUR rubber bands, not two. As a result, I suggest a very good strategy: make two jigs which would hold two stretched, wound motors, statically. During competition time:

1) Wind two motors for the first flight and launch helicopter. This should take about 3 minutes
2) WHILE THE HELICOPTER is in flight, wind the two other motors and place them on the motor-holder jigs. (go over the helicopter flight time if you have to, just leave the heli lying there until you are done). You will have about 3-2 minutes left.
3) load Heli with the wound rubber (takes about 1.5 minutes)
4) Launch second flight with a full 1 minute time remaining!

Good luck!
You say a 50 second chinook would win your state? does this mean that you had states already..? And for NY A 50 sec X3 multiplier was the best ?
does this seem consistent with the rest of you guys at states where ~150 won? I want to know where I stand considering that NY (at least last year) was awesome at helicopter. Is this still true?
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion

Return to “Helicopters C”