Duration

Re: Duration

Postby spikeytomato on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:04 am

if any of you are from california, i heard that several schools have broken two minutes with regular coaxial helicopters at regionals
then again, i also heard that troy and some other schools have chinooks done ready for states but i dont know the time
knowing that its troy, its probably going to be pretty good though
spikeytomato

Division: C
State: -

Postby Flavorflav on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:28 am

The supervisors were new. Apparently that is the reason for the DQ as well - they had ongoing issues with the WM alternates (and one coach) all day, from what I hear, but instead of coming down like a ton of bricks in the morning, they just kind of stored up all of their grievances and then laid them out to the State Director and appeals committee after the competition was over. The committee evidently decided that the aggregate behavior amounted to unsportsmanlike conduct, worthy of a DQ. Rookie mistake, IMO - if they had scared the bejeezus out of them at 8:30, I'm sure they would have had a much more pleasant day and WM would have got the gold they deserved. 1:30 on a Chinook? We were really impressed with our 48 seconds! As for why it wasn't 2:00, I suspect that is the rule, not the exception. You shouldn't expect to get your absolute best result in competition. (BTW, our 48 seconds became 35 in competition - almost exactly the same proportion).
Flavorflav

Division: Grad
State: NY

Postby twototwenty on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:40 am

Wait, was the 48 second helicopter a chinook? Were there really that many >2:00 flights at the competition? :shock:
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Flavorflav on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:29 am

Like I said it only got 35 seconds, or 1:35 after the multiplier. That was good for 9th after WM's DQ, or 10th overall. I was surprised how good the times were, considering the height of the ceiling.
Flavorflav

Postby mrsteven on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:46 pm

Hey,
After a certain point winding, isnt the torque essentially the same? Im unsure and im wondering if its worth sticking the extra 50 winds i could get from a rubber even when im left with 100 spare. If torque is consistant, then i dont need to put on the extra few. However if the torque does change, then it matters for a few more useful winds. Im i think the torque is uniform but cannot recall...
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

State: IL

Postby chalker7 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:58 pm

mrsteven wrote:Hey,
After a certain point winding, isnt the torque essentially the same? Im unsure and im wondering if its worth sticking the extra 50 winds i could get from a rubber even when im left with 100 spare. If torque is consistant, then i dont need to put on the extra few. However if the torque does change, then it matters for a few more useful winds. Im i think the torque is uniform but cannot recall...

No. There are three parts of the torque curve, the initial increase, the middle plateau and the final peak. Once you get into the final peaking, the torque will continually increase until the motor breaks.
National event supervisor - Helicopters
chalker7

Postby mrsteven on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:58 pm

chalker7 wrote:
mrsteven wrote:Hey,

No. There are three parts of the torque curve, the initial increase, the middle plateau and the final peak. Once you get into the final peaking, the torque will continually increase until the motor breaks.

So say (note, random numbers) I'm flying 1:00 at 200 winds with maybe 15 winds extra, yet the rubber can take another 20 winds. Is it beneficial to me to wind the extra 20 even if it cannot support itself 35 winds earlier?
So does the extra winds make a higher torque for the descent portion of the flight that would up my flight time?

I want to know if its worth risking breaking the rubber or going conservative knowing that there are a bunch of extra.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby chalker7 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:45 pm

mrsteven wrote:So say (note, random numbers) I'm flying 1:00 at 200 winds with maybe 15 winds extra, yet the rubber can take another 20 winds. Is it beneficial to me to wind the extra 20 even if it cannot support itself 35 winds earlier?
So does the extra winds make a higher torque for the descent portion of the flight that would up my flight time?

I want to know if its worth risking breaking the rubber or going conservative knowing that there are a bunch of extra.

I don't really follow your example, but you always want to wind your motors as much as possible. Even if you are launching at a torque lower than the breaking torque, it works out that you will get more winds on the motor if you wind up to the breaking point and then back off to your launching torque.
Breaking a few motors is much preferred over leaving winds on the table. The way you know you're winding well is if you are regularly breaking motors.
National event supervisor - Helicopters
chalker7

Postby mrsteven on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:50 pm

Ok thanks, that answers my question clearly!
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby lakersfan on Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:50 am

mrsteven i hear you had a chinook at state, congrats! If you dont mind me asking, how long was your flight time pre-bonus? and what was the rest of the field like in IL?
lakersfan

State: -

Postby twototwenty on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:12 am

And were there any other notable flight times seen at the state competitions yesterday?
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby thsom on Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:08 pm

lakersfan wrote:mrsteven i hear you had a chinook at state, congrats! If you dont mind me asking, how long was your flight time pre-bonus? and what was the rest of the field like in IL?

mrsteven... were you the one with the chinook that had attatchable parts with the green and you assembled it when you were checking in, your flight time was at around 11:00 a.m. ...?
thsom

Postby mrsteven on Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:16 pm

thsom wrote:
lakersfan wrote:mrsteven i hear you had a chinook at state, congrats! If you dont mind me asking, how long was your flight time pre-bonus? and what was the rest of the field like in IL?

mrsteven... were you the one with the chinook that had attatchable parts with the green and you assembled it when you were checking in, your flight time was at around 11:00 a.m. ...?

Thsom... ya....
it was funny, apparently I was setting up and winding etc for 40 minutes. My flight time was at 11:00 and it took 40 minutes to wind and get checked in with the design etc. and finished around 11:55

The best part of the flight is when I looked around the armory and everyone, even in the trial events, had stopped and all watching it. Best feeling ever

I won't be revealing my times until next week in respect for a team I collaborate with who is competing next week for their state.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby thsom on Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:41 pm

mrsteven wrote:
thsom wrote:

Thsom... ya....
it was funny, apparently I was setting up and winding etc for 40 minutes. My flight time was at 11:00 and it took 40 minutes to wind and get checked in with the design etc. and finished around 11:55

The best part of the flight is when I looked around the armory and everyone, even in the trial events, had stopped and all watching it. Best feeling ever

I won't be revealing my times until next week in respect for a team I collaborate with who is competing next week for their state.

lol, I was the team with the sort of polk-a-dot tissue paper right next to you guys!! Interestingly enough... my time was 3-4 seconds since welll.. we literally had to drop it 'cus the rubberbands snapped...
thsom

Postby mrsteven on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:19 pm

haha sorry, I didn't really notice... I was focused on getting everything in check ^.^
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

PreviousNext

Return to Helicopter