lucwilder42
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rotors

Post by lucwilder42 »

thedoctor wrote:
thsom wrote:Ok, well I have built both and gotten a significantly better time with the non-helical one (not eliptical either, the one I linked to at sciencenc.com). I am not sure why, but it may be due to the lack of skill I have and no jig for building those rotors. I'll stick with the other one, (with my modifications I was able to get a 2:27).
Perhaps this is a miscommunication? Like others, I can't believe that a non-helical design would get a time as good as 2:27--it just seems to defy physics; otherwise, I think national times would be incredibly high compared to what they are now. I mean no disrespect but maybe 2:27 is supposed to be 2.27 seconds or something like that?
Nats copters were non-elliptical but helical.
I'm just here to build bridges
thsom
Division: C
State: IL

Post by thsom »

Oh no, it is 2:27. I just tested another one however (still with non-helical rotors) but it had cured rotors and it got a time of 2:49.
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

thsom wrote:Oh no, it is 2:27. I just tested another one however (still with non-helical rotors) but it had cured rotors and it got a time of 2:49.
You sure you aren't trolling? :shock:
thedoctor
State: NC

Post by thedoctor »

illusionist wrote:
thsom wrote:Oh no, it is 2:27. I just tested another one however (still with non-helical rotors) but it had cured rotors and it got a time of 2:49.
There has to be some sort of miscommunication between thsom and everyone else...didn't Mr. Anderson build a non-helical helicopter last year but still get a much better time with a helical one?
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

thsom, do you understand what helical means? Does your helicopter look something like this: http://gallery.scioly.org/details.php?image_id=3315 ?

And you also said your new one has "cured" rotors. Did you mean "curved" so that they're shaped like an egg, or "curved" as in twisted?
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

thedoctor wrote:
illusionist wrote:
There has to be some sort of miscommunication between thsom and everyone else...didn't Mr. Anderson build a non-helical helicopter last year but still get a much better time with a helical one?
i believe it was a elliptical. the thought is that theyre better if made correctly, but very hard to make correctly. I would stick with a heliptical design. The 'flat' blade design i havent seen but some say it works- but I personally wont spend any time working on it.

Until proven otherwise, I think its trolling. However, Ill be having a few of my friends recording times at COD's regionals so I guess Ill see for sure then if thsom's claims are backed up ;)
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
thsom

Post by thsom »

illusionist wrote:thsom, do you understand what helical means? Does your helicopter look something like this: http://gallery.scioly.org/details.php?image_id=3315 ?

And you also said your new one has "cured" rotors. Did you mean "curved" so that they're shaped like an egg, or "curved" as in twisted?
Yes it does look like that one you linked to and I understand what you mean by helical, they are not helical in that picture and nor are they in mine. When I said curved I meant with air foils so literally curved rotors but still that design in the link (just with foils in the rotors).

Edit: Mrsteven, what school are you from?
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

I'm from BG (it even says it in my location on the left <--- )

My regional is CLC but I've got friends on teams at your regional
Hope to hear about that time- its quite an interesting time, + seeing stevenson/new trier at my regional. Should be a fun day!

edit: the 'flat' blades with an 'air foil' is essentially heliptical from how I'm visualizing this....
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
Bob8372
Division: B

Post by Bob8372 »

Would having rotors at the top of the copter cause a higher or lower center of gravity?
thedoctor

Post by thedoctor »

Bob8372 wrote:Would having rotors at the top of the copter cause a higher or lower center of gravity?
Well...most people have two rotors--one on top and one on bottom so that you have more lift. By the way I see you're from NC; what regionals are you in?

Return to “Helicopters C”