Helicopter Testing

Helicopter Testing

Postby illusionist on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:57 am

Methods and locations.
2012-2013 Building Event Captain
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras
illusionist

Division: C
State: MI

Re: Helicopter Testing

Postby chia on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:19 pm

I'm not really sure where to put this, but: what's up with the dime-sized "flat balsa wood disk" we need to put on our helicopter? It seems a little silly to me that if that comes off, timing stops. Is it to encourage people to test in flat-ceilinged rooms without obstructions so that it doesn't come off?
(avatar is by xamag)
Past events: Anatomy, Forestry, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter, Elastic Launch Glider, Maglev, Gravity Vehicle
Captain of the Naperville Central HS teams (2012-13)
==>
chia

Division: Grad
State: IL

Postby chalker7 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:26 pm

chia wrote:I'm not really sure where to put this, but: what's up with the dime-sized "flat balsa wood disk" we need to put on our helicopter? It seems a little silly to me that if that comes off, timing stops. Is it to encourage people to test in flat-ceilinged rooms without obstructions so that it doesn't come off?

Some teams were attempting to put metal spikes on top of their helicopters and jamming the spike into the ceiling to increase flight time through the added friction. The balsa disc is intended to prevent that practice.
National event supervisor - Helicopters
chalker7

Postby chia on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:29 pm

Hmm. Wouldn't the disk itself increase friction to an extent also? Not nearly as much as the spike, of course, but couldn't the rules simply have addressed that problem directly by not allowing the "spikes"?
(avatar is by xamag)
Past events: Anatomy, Forestry, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter, Elastic Launch Glider, Maglev, Gravity Vehicle
==>
chia

Postby chalker7 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:42 pm

chia wrote:Hmm. Wouldn't the disk itself increase friction to an extent also? Not nearly as much as the spike, of course, but couldn't the rules simply have addressed that problem directly by not allowing the "spikes"?

The issue is defining a "spike." Anything that goes into the rules has to be explicitly defined and easily measurable. We want teams to still be able to put standoff sticks on the top of their helicopter to keep their rotors, but it is actually very challenging for a lot of supervisors to accurately, carefully and quickly measure something as small as wire or individual sticks (which is why towers/bridges/boomilever/etc no longer have max/min dimensions).
chalker7

Postby chia on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:44 pm

Okay. I just hope I don't end up with a 30-second time at states just because the thing came off, though :P
(avatar is by xamag)
==>
chia

Postby chalker7 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:53 pm

chia wrote:Okay. I just hope I don't end up with a 30-second time at states just because the thing came off, though :P

My best advice is to make it a solid component!
chalker7

Postby illusionist on Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:54 pm

Chalker7, I absolutely love this year's helicopter rules. My thanks goes out to everyone who added these components
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras
illusionist

Postby chia on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:12 pm

illusionist wrote:Chalker7, I absolutely love this year's helicopter rules. My thanks goes out to everyone who added these components

I agree. It leaves a lot more freedom for experimenting (that Chinook thing sounds like a good challenge).
(avatar is by xamag)
==>
chia

Postby chia on Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:19 am

Sorry for double posting, but I was thinking... a Chinook-style helicopter with two separate motors would be really hard to wind and launch, wouldn't it? :|
(avatar is by xamag)
==>
chia

Postby illusionist on Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:02 am

that's what good partners are for... ;)
illusionist

Postby chalker7 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:22 am

chia wrote:Sorry for double posting, but I was thinking... a Chinook-style helicopter with two separate motors would be really hard to wind and launch, wouldn't it? :|

....and design and construct and balance (if one of the rotors has more thrust than the other, it will start tumbling end over end). Hence the huge bonus. I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone can come up with though!
chalker7

Postby jander14indoor on Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:18 pm

chia wrote:Sorry for double posting, but I was thinking... a Chinook-style helicopter with two separate motors would be really hard to wind and launch, wouldn't it? :|

I don't remember and I don't have the rules handy, but I don't think the rules require two motors, do they?? Can you say transmission?

Course that still leaves balanced rotor performance, design, etc...

Like chalker7, I'm looking forward to the creative solutions!!!

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
jander14indoor

Postby illusionist on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:02 pm

Transmission?! On a sub-5 gram helicopter... :shock:
I think that would be very inefficient. There will come at least one point where there will be a perpendicular turn, and w/o a gear system or a universal joint that would be extremely inefficient, no?
illusionist

Postby chalker7 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:08 pm

illusionist wrote:..............
Transmission?! On a sub-5 gram helicopter... :shock:
I think that would be very inefficient. There will come at least one point where there will be a perpendicular turn, and w/o a gear system or a universal joint that would be extremely inefficient, no?

I could see a belt system or a crank system (like on ornithropters) possibly working without gears and being pretty efficient.
chalker7

Next

Return to Helicopter