Helicopter Testing

jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Re: Helicopter Testing

Post by jander14indoor »

Age is important, but probably more important is storage conditions. Rubber hates heat, light, ozone. Oh, and some plasticizers used in some plastic bags degrade the rubber. Unfortunately I can never remember which ones so I tend to store my stripped rubber in envelopes. Otherwise I like to store my rubber in the original box in a cool place in my house away from electric motors and other electronic equipment (ozone source). For real long term storage, freeze the rubber.

Oh, and remember what we said about Tan Sport vs Tan Super Sport. Super Sport will store more energy, ie take more turns, than Sport. Thus the recommendation to stick with Super Sport.

And on top of that, some batches are better than others. Either in energy storage or in inconsistent breaking.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
chia
Division: Grad
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by chia »

Hm, I guess my basement was okay, then. I've been keeping them mostly in the original boxes, and all of my rubber is Tan Super Sport. I'm running a little low though, so I'll probably stock up again with new FAI rubber anyways.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by mrsteven »

chia wrote:Hm, I guess my basement was okay, then. I've been keeping them mostly in the original boxes, and all of my rubber is Tan Super Sport. I'm running a little low though, so I'll probably stock up again with new FAI rubber anyways.
On the subject of FAI, it arrived today (surprise to me). Although never did hear back from the owner, but it worked out so no biggy I guess, just a bit interested in why no response/really long time to ship.

On that matter, since I now have rubber and finishing up my rotors tomorrow I can *actually* start testing now... only took, what? 2 months?
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
thedoctor
State: NC

Post by thedoctor »

Hi everyone, for states I'm looking to being able to test my helicopter in a more scientific manner than before, especially for torque. I know there are a lot of plans on the internet to build your own torque meter, but I have REALLY minimal building know-how and tools. Does anyone know of any place where I buy a pre-made torque meter?
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Indoor Model Supply used to sell one, but when I checked on the new site A2Z Corp I didn't see it available electronically. You might send an e-mail and ask.

I'm not aware of any other commercial sources. However, it is REALLY easy to build one. A number of plans are available on the web:
http://www.indoorspecialties.com/articl ... 0Meter.pdf is pretty simple
http://www.modelflight.com/torque.html a little fancier
and others

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
chia

Post by chia »

Finally broke 2 minutes on an 8 ft ceiling! Main problem is the bumping into walls... my best copter is pretty stable but still wanders around a little.
(avatar is by xamag)
NCHS '13
==>
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

chia wrote:Finally broke 2 minutes on an 8 ft ceiling! Main problem is the bumping into walls... my best copter is pretty stable but still wanders around a little.
nice! Now, just send me a complete design, including wood, rubber mass, rubber width and specs!! And well both be happy!
While your at it, just sennd me a complete helicopter :D
chia

Post by chia »

mrsteven wrote:
chia wrote:Finally broke 2 minutes on an 8 ft ceiling! Main problem is the bumping into walls... my best copter is pretty stable but still wanders around a little.
nice! Now, just send me a complete design, including wood, rubber mass, rubber width and specs!! And well both be happy!
While your at it, just sennd me a complete helicopter :D
Coming right atcha through UPS overnight shipping! (I addressed it to Mr. Steven, scioly.org, The Internet.)

;)
(avatar is by xamag)
NCHS '13
==>
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

I'm sure it will find its way to a special place in the dumpster out back your local UPS store :D

Return to “Helicopters C”