Post by thedoctor »

Are gears not allowed?
illusionist
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Helicopter Testing

Post by illusionist »

I don't know, but even if they were allowed, would you want to use them? Think of the weight gain, even from plastic gears...
thedoctor
State: NC
Been thanked: 0

Post by thedoctor »

i have an idea that I'd like to test if I get enough time to build it and test it that I hope might work well and hopefully overcome the weight gain. But yeah, I thought about that when I thought about tandem rotors last year. But could someone explain how you could make one with 2 motors??
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

You're having difficulty with a a basic two-motor design? You must be really smart...
It's just like two motorsticsks connected together... kinda like this:
_ ' ' _
|__|
|__|

The vertical things are the motorsticks, and the horizontal dashes at the top represent the rotors. The two other horizontal lines (the longer ones) represent braces that connect the two motorsticks. (Ignore the two apostrophes) Of course, this is very very basic and probably not efficient in terms of weight. There is a picture of a tandem-rotor heli in the image gallery somewhere. Take a look sometime.
thedoctor
State: NC

Post by thedoctor »

Oh wow ok I feel dumb. I've been imagining a tandem copter with only one motorstick going across horizontally which is why I couldn't figure out how people were going to use two.

And on a different note, would anyone be willing to post the rules for us that haven't had the luck of getting it yet? :D
chalker7
Division: Grad
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

thedoctor wrote:Oh wow ok I feel dumb. I've been imagining a tandem copter with only one motorstick going across horizontally which is why I couldn't figure out how people were going to use two.

And on a different note, would anyone be willing to post the rules for us that haven't had the luck of getting it yet? :D
The general rules of these forums bans posting complete rules since Science Olympiad has a copyright on them prohibiting reproduction. You'll have to either wait to receive your official copy or assemble the critical components from what's been talked about on the various threads here.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

chalker7 wrote:
thedoctor wrote:Oh wow ok I feel dumb. I've been imagining a tandem copter with only one motorstick going across horizontally which is why I couldn't figure out how people were going to use two.

The general rules of these forums bans posting complete rules since Science Olympiad has a copyright on them prohibiting reproduction. You'll have to either wait to receive your official copy or assemble the critical components from what's been talked about on the various threads here.

Note you can always buy a copy from the soinc.org store if you don't want to wait on your coach.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

Also, Chia has been leaving little tid bits lying around. Those will give you a general idea
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

I built a quick tandem heli today. Winding was tricky and precarious, but it was feasible. I used two separate motorsticks, and two 3/16 rubberbands. Three people would have made it easy, but I was able to get it done with two. It wasn't as bad as I had expected though!
Littleboy

Post by Littleboy »

What was the time?

Return to “Helicopters C”