Flight Log

Flight Log

Postby glaba on Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:04 pm

I'm so confused. What is "motor size before windup"?
glaba

Division: B
State: NJ

Re: Flight Log

Postby illusionist on Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:15 pm

It's just referring to the size of your motor, before you start winding it. The "size" can be measured in terms of mass, length, or thickness/width. For example, a 2.4g motor. Or you can write a 40cm loop. Or you can also write 3/32" thick.
2012-2013 Building Event Captain
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras
illusionist

Division: C
State: MI

Postby glaba on Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks!
My motor is essentially just a wound rubber band. So would the length of the rubber band suffice?
glaba

Postby illusionist on Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:33 pm

That should be fine. If possible, try to measure the thickness, as this will be more useful to you in improving the duration of your heli.
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras
illusionist

Postby glaba on Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:08 pm

Thank you for your help. This is my first year at this and I started late.
glaba

Postby glaba on Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:15 pm

you should be user of the month
glaba

Postby illusionist on Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:23 pm

glaba wrote:you should be user of the month

Haha. Thanks, but there are other users here who are much more helpful than me. :)
illusionist

Postby thsom on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:52 pm

Could one choice log part be whether or not lubrication was used? You could say: lubrication used? and for each flight the answer would be yes or no. Or is that not good enough?
thsom

State: IL

Postby chia on Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:55 pm

...Why would you not use lubrication?
And my guess would be that you might be able to pass with that at your regionals, but probably not by states.
But why wouldn't you use something else? Mine are rubber mass, rubber size (usually but not always 1/8), # winds, flight time, winds left over, and previous number of rubber uses (I sometimes reuse a loop up to 3 times).
(avatar is by xamag)
Past events: Anatomy, Forestry, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter, Elastic Launch Glider, Maglev, Gravity Vehicle
Captain of the Naperville Central HS teams (2012-13)
==>
chia

Division: Grad

Postby thsom on Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:03 pm

When they ask for rubber size, do they mean the cross section or the diameter? I put diameter (sorry, I'm new to this!!)
thsom

Postby chalker7 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:28 pm

thsom wrote:When they ask for rubber size, do they mean the cross section or the diameter? I put diameter (sorry, I'm new to this!!)

Diameter? Do you mean loop length? In either case, the rules do not specify a dimension, so whatever you record will probably be fine, but I would double check with your local supervisor if you still are concerned.
National event supervisor - Helicopters
chalker7

Division: Grad

Postby jander14indoor on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:09 am

Usual comment, this isn't the place for official clarifications, opinion only, etc.

Understand the purpose of flight logs. They are there to help you perform well. This is a test and evaluation event, if you do not keep extensive data, you cannot do well, regardless of the penalty aspect in the rules. We added them to the rules because folks seem to miss that basic fact!!!

The six in the rules is an arbitrary minimum, if you want to do well you should have FAR more than six and the rule aspect will be purely secondary. If you are struggling to identify six, you are not going to get a good time and you don't understand!

Just a few to get you going: rotor size, pitch, diameter, area, top and bottom (that's six there) motor size, length, width, mass (need at least two to describe the motor fully) ceiling height, air conditions, temperature, room size, overall mass (yes you should be flying at minimum mass, but if not...), rotor seperation, center of mass, flight characteristics, time, height achieved, flight profile, max winds, backoff, winds at launch, winds at landing, launch height, flight behavior. And so on. ALL of these affect flight to a greater or lesser degree, if you don't record them, how can you know why your flight times improve or degrade from flight to flight?

This is science folks, TAKE DATA!! LOOK AT DATA!! As an event supervisor, I have a good feel for a teams success by glancing at the log without reading flight times. If I see multiple sheets with far more than the minimum six, short a disaster, they are medaling. I see 10 lines, 6 columns, not likely to be successful.

chia wrote:<SNIP>And my guess would be that you might be able to pass with that at your regionals, but probably not by states.<SNIP>

Real opinion here. Why would state vs regional be relevant. The rules don't distinguish. The only thing I've noted some supervisors don't like words as a parameter. I personally think they are wrong, but there it is...

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
jander14indoor

Return to Helicopter