Wood Disk?

Wood Disk?

Postby hammertime1 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:40 pm

According to the rules of Helicopters for NJ States, we must have a wooden disk on top of the heli, and that if it falls off, the run is over.

????? :?
hammertime1

Division: B
State: NJ

Re: Wood Disk?

Postby illusionist on Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:56 pm

That is the national rule, applying to every state and regional tournament. What's your question about it?
2012-2013 Building Event Captain
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras
illusionist

Division: C
State: MI

Postby iTzDiamondFirexD on Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:56 pm

They have this rule so that a "spike," or a device that can be used to jam the helicopter in the ceiling can't be used. This has been discussed before. Go here viewtopic.php?f=124&t=3063 for more information.
First Year of Science Olympiad

Medal Counter:
States: 0
Regionals: 1
iTzDiamondFirexD

Division: B
State: NJ

Postby mrn_s0 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:00 pm

On a related note, can this disk be physically attached to the helicopter (i and the regionals jugde thought so, but the towers judge thought that the disk was not attached- thus penalizing unstable helicopters).

Anyone know definitively.
mrn_s0

State: GA

Postby chalker on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:06 pm

mrn_s0 wrote:On a related note, can this disk be physically attached to the helicopter (i and the regionals jugde thought so, but the towers judge thought that the disk was not attached- thus penalizing unstable helicopters).

Interesting interpretation, and I can see how the exact wording could lead to it. Unofficially of course the intent was to physically attach it.
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Check out the new OFFICIAL Science Olympiad mobile app on Apple iTunes and Google Play!
http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=172&p=252488&sid=23f6f3f0a11589d3b9e82f598b093c90#p252424
chalker

Division: Grad
State: OH

Postby AlphaTauri on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:10 pm

mrn_s0 wrote:On a related note, can this disk be physically attached to the helicopter (i and the regionals jugde thought so, but the towers judge thought that the disk was not attached- thus penalizing unstable helicopters).

Yea, it can be physically attached to the heli (and I think it has to be, if you want any chance of it staying on during a flight).
HSO2014 — Astro, Chem Lab (R), Forensics, Geomapping (S), Maglev (R/S), Mission (I), TPS (I)

"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~xkcd
AlphaTauri

State: PA

Postby jander14indoor on Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:51 pm

Since something falling off stops the time, I'd say it would be wise to attach it firmly to the helicopter!!

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
jander14indoor

Postby chalker on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:56 pm

jander14indoor wrote:Since something falling off stops the time, I'd say it would be wise to attach it firmly to the helicopter!!

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

Jeff: The key is the exact wording we used: "must be placed on the upper most part". Some event supervisors are interpreting that to mean not ATTACHED, but PLACED without attachment. I can see how the line of thought would go, although obviously that's not what we intended.
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Check out the new OFFICIAL Science Olympiad mobile app on Apple iTunes and Google Play!
http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=172&p=252488&sid=23f6f3f0a11589d3b9e82f598b093c90#p252424
chalker

Postby mrn_s0 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:24 am

thank you Chalker, AlphaTauri, and Jander14indoor for clarifying this point.
mrn_s0

State: GA

Postby jander14indoor on Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:40 pm

Since this isn't the place for clarifications, sounds like someone needs to submit a clarification question!

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
jander14indoor

Postby wlsguy on Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:39 pm

The rules state a balsa disk must be "placed" on the upper most part of the helicopter. Is this disk allowed to be glued to the surface or must it stay on only by gravity?

I know this question has been discussed here (and answered) but at the recent Cincinatti Regional it was determined the balsa disk must stay on by gravity and CANNOT be glued (or attached). Almost every team was 2nd tiered because they glued the disk on. Please clarify before the Piqua Regional on March 17th.

I submitted a clarification to try and get this resolved "offically" before I run the event at our Regional on Saturday. This really needs to (please) make the FAQ so everyone has the same understanding.
Thanks
wlsguy
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Gracious on Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:49 pm

I have received a response to the wood disk from the Science Olympiad office.

[email protected] wrote:The disc may be attached using glue.

The original question is included for your records; there is no need to
respond unless you feel there is an error.
=========================================================
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

What exactly does the word "placed" mean when it says that a flat balsa wood
disk must be "placed" on the top of the helicopter mean?
To clarify my purpose in asking this question: Does "placed" strictly mean
that only gravity can be used to hold the disk in place? Does that mean that
glue is not allowed to be used on the disk? If not, then is it legal to use a
rod to connect the disk to the rotor?

I can provide screenshots of the email response if needed.

What greatly aggravates me is the lateness of the response. At Sacramento Regionals, a few hours prior to this email, we decided to not glue the disk to be safe in accordance with the post above. As a result, it happened to fall off for the first time, even though we have flown helicopters numerous times. The resulting time was barely below the amount needed to medal.

So yeah. The wood disk should be glued to the top of the helicopter.
Gracious

State: CA

Postby jander14indoor on Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:38 pm

Argghh, but it hasn't been posted to the NSO page yet!!

OK, usual cautions about this not being site for clarifications, etc.

Warning, as an event supervisor I do not consider a quoted e-mail on this site as relevant to my interpretation of the rules! Yes I agree with that interpretation, but someone else might not. My point is that nothing on this page is official!!!

Frankly, I'd be leary about an e-mail purportably from NSO handed me by a team. Anyone can fake an e-mail and print it.

So, keep sending those clarification requests to NSO until you see something posted on their site!!

I just did.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
jander14indoor

Postby jander14indoor on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:50 am

OK, NOW the FAQ on gluing the disk is posted on the national website.

That's official.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
jander14indoor

Return to Helicopter