Future Aviation Events

Future Aviation Events

Postby chalker7 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:32 am

Specifically, Elastic Launch Glider. Here is a video of the equivalent in AMA to get an idea of what we're talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5iXgye- ... re=related
National event supervisor - Helicopters
chalker7

Division: Grad
State: IL

Re: Future Aviation Events

Postby jander14indoor on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:08 pm

First question, while I'm thinking about it, I agree with the blunt tip on the fuse, but am worried a dime as the reference implies something 2D, where what I think we want is a hemisphere.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
jander14indoor

Postby chalker7 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:15 pm

jander14indoor wrote:First question, while I'm thinking about it, I agree with the blunt tip on the fuse, but am worried a dime as the reference implies something 2D, where what I think we want is a hemisphere.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

That's probably true. Do you (or anyone else for that matter) have a suggestion for an easy way to measure hemispherical blunt tips? We used a 2L bottle cap for bottle rockets before (by saying the tip could not touch the flat surface if laid atop the end), but that would be way too big for these.
chalker7

Postby illusionist on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:51 pm

Perhaps a thimble? The bottle cap solution was pretty awesome by the way, it's both very accessible and works rather well!

Anyway, on the topic of student-made propellers, can you leave it open in the rules that teams may use a pre-built propeller as well? Putting myself in the shoes of a new team or inexperienced students, it would be rather difficult to build a custom propeller. I've done Wright Stuff/Helicopters for a while, so I would be absolutely excited about building my own propeller, but others might not.

Btw, do these gliders require more height or a larger environment than helicopters or planes?
2012-2013 Building Event Captain
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras
illusionist

Division: C
State: MI

Postby chalker on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:14 pm

illusionist wrote:The bottle cap solution was pretty awesome by the way, it's both very accessible and works rather well!

Not to toot my own horn (but I will;), I came up with that idea in a total 'epiphany' moment...you would be amazed by the number of other things we were trying to put in the rules first and were struggling with... it's really hard to easily characterize something as being a certain level of 'blunt'.
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Check out the new OFFICIAL Science Olympiad mobile app on Apple iTunes and Google Play!
http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=172&p=252488&sid=23f6f3f0a11589d3b9e82f598b093c90#p252424
chalker

State: OH

Postby baker on Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:30 pm

chalker7 wrote:Specifically, Elastic Launch Glider. Here is a video of the equivalent in AMA to get an idea of what we're talking about.

Is this to be an indoor or an outdoor event as the video shows. If outside it is usually anywhere between -7 to 28 degrees F when NYS has their competitions.
baker

State: -

Postby chalker7 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:19 pm

baker wrote:
chalker7 wrote:Specifically, Elastic Launch Glider. Here is a video of the equivalent in AMA to get an idea of what we're talking about.

Is this to be an indoor or an outdoor event as the video shows. If outside it is usually anywhere between -7 to 28 degrees F when NYS has their competitions.

Definitely indoors. I just couldn't find a high quality video of the indoor equivalent (although I'm sure they exist somewhere)
chalker7

Postby illusionist on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:06 pm

In order to withstand the force of launch, do the wings need to be solid balsa?

I know I should focus on this year, but just some initial questions pooped up.
2012-2013 Building Event Captain
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras
illusionist

State: MI

Postby chalker7 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:19 pm

illusionist wrote:In order to withstand the force of launch, do the wings need to be solid balsa?

I know I should focus on this year, but just some initial questions pooped up.

Lots of people have successfully made them out of foam (meat trays from the grocery store and the like)
chalker7

Postby squiressci0 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:41 pm

is there a picture somewhere to figure out what the launching device looks like and how/where it is attached to glider for launch? New to SO and been given this to enter as a trial in two weeks - where to start? :o
squiressci0

State: IN

Postby Orange714 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:38 pm

Has anyone tried building one and flown successfully?
I'm in the process of building one...
Orange714

Postby wlsguy on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:40 pm

It was run as a trial at Wright State this year and the times were very low. Don't expect 2 minute flights. 30 seconds is probably doing pretty good.
Gillows makes a kit which may give the the basic idea. It uses metal (prohibited) and is not really designed for the event but could be helpful in the early learning stages.
http://www.guillow.com/catapultglider.aspx

I think many hobby stores carry it (Hobby Lobby, etc)
wlsguy
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

State: OH

Postby Orange714 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:05 pm

I looked around at the models you buy online and decided that I'd probably be better off building off a design that I found online. I meant better off in the wallet XD
Orange714

Postby twototwenty on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:35 am

chalker7 wrote:
baker wrote:

Definitely indoors. I just couldn't find a high quality video of the indoor equivalent (although I'm sure they exist somewhere)

How would this be done indoors? Wouldn't the glider just hit the ceiling and fall back down? (Perhaps I am just not really understanding how the event works)
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

State: NY

Postby jander14indoor on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:19 pm

Now that would be part of the challenge.

Just as in Wright Stuff where you had to tune your plane to the site to get maximum time (typically by messing with rubber width and torque to ascend to just below the ceiling), with catapult launch you have to tune your launch to JUST reach the ceiling without touching and transition to a smooth gliding descent.

Of course flight times will be constrained by ceiling height, and as in balloon launch, you could almost predict max time if you knew ceiling height.

You'll have two big challenges. The first is to develop a launch procedure to precisely hit target heights for the transition. The second will be to maximise descent time (minimize sink rate).

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
jander14indoor

Next

Return to Helicopter