Most competitive state

tornado guy
Division: C
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Most competitive state

Post by tornado guy »

I'm curious to see, simple out of opinion, which state you think is most competitive.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MN

Re: Most competitive state

Post by Luo »

tornado guy wrote:I'm curious to see, simple out of opinion, which state you think is most competitive.
Define "competitive." If you mean "has the strongest teams," I would say Ohio wins hands-down; national champions in both divisions for two consecutive years. Pennsylvania would also come close, with two teams perennially finishing in the top 10 at nationals.

However, if by "competitive" you mean "the strongest teams are very evenly matched, so the state tournament is a toss-up," then the question becomes a bit more interesting. There is no easy answer to this question. Several states have oligopolistic fields in which a few top teams jockey for the state title. Kansas and Florida are two examples of this. Other states have two teams that have dominated in recent years. Examples of this are New York and North Carolina. Yet other states simply have had histories of close state tournaments. Colorado as well as my home state of Minnesota had C Division state tournaments come down to fewer than 8 points last year.

There are many ways of defining "competitive." It's nearly undeniable that Ohio is the hands-down powerhouse of Science Olympiad when it comes to the national level. But in other contexts, other states may be considered very competitive as well, even if their teams do not have such stellar showings at nationals.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
SirBobo
Division: B
State: CA

Post by SirBobo »

California has competitive teams... :?
I am SirBobo and I approve this message

"Insert meaningful quote here"

Image Image
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

It ain't AL, that's for sure.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

This thread is going to get interesting.

I think, in terms of evenly matched, Ohio can be in that conversation too. There are so many nationals-worthy teams, and only two can go. Maybe we should rename this "Second-most competitive state".
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
personasaurus rex
State: NY

Post by personasaurus rex »

This is a bad idea for a thread... People on this site get really touchy and sensitive when the issue of competitiveness is raised. I would have to throw my money to Ohio, followed by Pennsylvania and maybe New York.
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Personally, I think PA is overrated. We only have our top two teams for C, and in B we haven't gotten really consistent results. I'd probably go with NY and CA, and maybe MI, before PA.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
personasaurus rex
State: NY

Post by personasaurus rex »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:Personally, I think PA is overrated. We only have our top two teams for C, and in B we haven't gotten really consistent results. I'd probably go with NY and CA, and maybe MI, before PA.
But don't the Penn states that go to nationals consistently beat the NY nationals teams? I'll agree with you that the competition within the state is probably closer in NY (as far as I know) though. But don't get me started on that...
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It
thsom
State: IL

Post by thsom »

Illinois' up there with marie murphy, south, and daniel wright also new trier and stevenson, all placed in top 20, marie murphy in top 10 consistently, got 2nd last year.
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

I'd vouch for Kansas as most competitive IN-state, though this is probably because it, along with Texas and Missouri, are the only states I've competed in. Texas was pretty competitive too, I have to admit, but since I'm so involved with KSO I've really gotten a sense of the competition. Out of state, hands down, it's Ohio, that's not even a discussion.

But I do want to crunch the numbers for this. It might be interesting comparing the raw statistics for each state.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

Return to “2012 Nationals”