tuftedtitmouse12
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Most competitive state

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

thsom wrote:
tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:
thsom wrote:Illinois' up there with marie murphy, south, and daniel wright also new trier and stevenson, all placed in top 20, marie murphy in top 10 consistently, got 2nd last year.
Good point. But as far as it goes, it's only those three teams for Division B jockeying for those two bids to nats. What about div C?
Division C has IMSA (always close to second, never really made it though, one time only a few points away), New trier, Stevenson, Naperville, Hinsdale, and Crystal Lake Central vouching for the top spaces in state. However in nats placing wise New trier stole 7th and stevenson stole 16th. But for division B, Kennedy is also up there always in the top 3 or 4
Wait, Kennedy made it to nats? I thought it was Daniel Wright and Marie Murphy...
peter, peter, peter
Littleboy
Division: C
State: MI

Post by Littleboy »

foreverphysics wrote:Why the heck is AL 32nd? Shouldn't we be somewhere around..oh, I don't know...50?!
The least competitive state is 49 so how could it be 50? and there are some really uncompetitive states.
tornado guy wrote:How is Washington in front of Ohio?
Good does not nessecarily mean competitive. Ohio has just a couple teams that win. Washington has more. Washington is also a fairly good team at nats.
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

I/any other Virginian on this board can almost guarantee that VA is not the 4th most competitive state. For Div B, there is usually 1 specific team that goes to Nats. No team besides Longfellow MS has gone to Nats more than once, and they have won States 6 of the 10 years VA has been part of Science Olympiad. Following up on what Randy said, if one team is dominating, can that be considered competition?

Also, what is the Nationals ranking? What does the average place at Nats have to do with the competitiveness of a state?
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
thsom
State: IL

Post by thsom »

tuftedtitmouse12 wrote: Wait, Kennedy made it to nats? I thought it was Daniel Wright and Marie Murphy...
No no no, Kennedy didn't make it to nats, you are correct about Daniel Wright and Marie Murphy. What I was saying was that Kennedy was competitive in state while marie murphy, south, and daniel wright are competitive out state
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Since everyone seems to be ignoring what I posted on the talk part of that page, I think I'll repost it in an abbreviated form here:
deciding on a definitive ranking of state competitiveness is essentially impossible. There are too many variables that factor into a state's "competitiveness" that choosing one set is very arbitrary. In the end, "competitiveness" is an opinion, not a fact, and that's why we continue to have debates over whether or not a state is "competitive."
It would be a great idea to have the page comparing different states and their statistics, but to say that one state is more competitive than another based on an arbitrary set of statistics isn't very helpful and only causes... the arguments in the posts above this one.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
Starapollo1
State: IN

Post by Starapollo1 »

This is based on the very limited knowledge I have.

C Division

Ohio's top two teams are obviously very competitive at the national level, however Ohio also has another two or so teams that are really incredible teams that would surely be in the top 15 at nationals but have not yet made it out of the state tournament...

Kansas seems (from their forums) to be fairly competitive in-state with the top tier of schools all vying for that precious spot.

Indiana (this is obviously a little bias) seems incredibly competitive in-state. In the past ten years there has been seven different teams seen in the top three at the state tournament.

New York also like it would be incredibly competitive in-state just because there are so many schools but I don't know a lot about their state tournament...

Just my thoughts...
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
OldSpice
State: NY

Post by OldSpice »

Starapollo1 wrote: New York also like it would be incredibly competitive in-state just because there are so many schools but I don't know a lot about their state tournament...
I'm pretty sure someone else already said this, but New York is one of those states where one team dominates first place year after year and three other teams compete for second place.
2nd, 3rd, and 4th place were all very close at last year's state tournament.
The man your man could smell like.
Event [RCS Invite]
Fermi Questions [4]
Forestry [7]
Remote Sensing [4]
Robot Arm [-]
tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

thsom wrote:
tuftedtitmouse12 wrote: Wait, Kennedy made it to nats? I thought it was Daniel Wright and Marie Murphy...
No no no, Kennedy didn't make it to nats, you are correct about Daniel Wright and Marie Murphy. What I was saying was that Kennedy was competitive in state while marie murphy, south, and daniel wright are competitive out state
Ah, thank you for your clarification.
peter, peter, peter
kateak
State: MI

Post by kateak »

kentuckyfan1001 wrote:
illusionist wrote:I see you guys have forgotten Michigan?
This goes back to my original point - everyone, I think, can claim that every state is competitive. All I know about Michigan is that Grand Haven goes pretty much every year. Is it competitive in the regional and state competitions? All I know is it has the second-most teams out of any state.
I think MI is pretty competitive. It depends what region your in. Region 12 is really competitive and state is getting more competitive every year.
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

Question: Since when did AL become #20? That just doesn't compute.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"

Return to “2012 Nationals”