Most competitive state

Re: Most competitive state

Postby dontsenditinthemail on Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:08 pm

Ohio, hands down.

Why? Ohio's best teams are better than other state's best teams (look at results from nationals) and Ohio's next tier are still able to compete (look at the gap is the state scores on the previous page, it's not a drop-off you're seeing as much as there are a ton of teams that are good at multiple events, hence unless you are the juggernaut and get one of those really low scores, you are competing for every place you get).

Other good states include NY, Cali, and Pennsylvania, but to put a state like Washington ahead of Ohio is to ignore results.

Ohio's champions aren't just born, they are forged by competing against and beating tons of other good schools in Ohio tournaments. Hence, top to bottom Ohio is the most competitive state, and judging by recent results including national tournaments and invitationals that draw schools from multiple states, also the most-talented state.
dontsenditinthemail

Postby hpmegaobsessedfan on Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:34 pm

foreverphysics wrote:It ain't AL, that's for sure.

How do you figure that? :?:
<You and I'll be safe and sound>

2012 Events: Alternate: Anatomy, Awesome Aquifers, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Food Science, Forestry, Meteorology, Microbe Mission, Reach for the Stars.
hpmegaobsessedfan

Division: B
State: AL

Postby geminicross on Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:01 pm

hpmegaobsessedfan wrote:
foreverphysics wrote:It ain't AL, that's for sure.

How do you figure that? :?:

well, Alabama is home to 136 teams; a solid number.

In Alabama the Division B leader is the same nearly every year: Auburn Jr. High School. But AJH has never placed above 15th.
& the second Div. B team AL sends generally places in the lower half.

In Divison C. The state level is more competitive, but at nationals the teams seem to be in the lower 20.
geminicross

Division: C
State: GA

Postby KMHS_Dave on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:50 pm

It's Ohio. How is this even a question?
President Emeritus David Massa
Kellenberg Memorial High School S.O.
"Instaurare Omnia in Christo" "CHOOSE LIFE!"
KMHS_Dave

Division: Grad
State: NY

Postby geminicross on Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:09 pm

KMHS_Dave wrote:It's Ohio. How is this even a question?

Well There's a difference between "NATIONAL COMPETITIVENESS" and "STATE COMPETITIVENESS

so there are many reasons as to why this may be a question.
Although Ohio is home to some of the best teams in the country, there are many factors that determine how "Competitive" a state is.

P.S: Ohio does not have the most national titles.
geminicross

State: GA

Postby French_Toast on Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:17 pm

geminicross wrote:
KMHS_Dave wrote:It's Ohio. How is this even a question?

Well There's a difference between "NATIONAL COMPETITIVENESS" and "STATE COMPETITIVENESS

so there are many reasons as to why this may be a question.
Although Ohio is home to some of the best teams in the country, there are many factors that determine how "Competitive" a state is.

P.S: Ohio does not have the most national titles.

It won't be long until they do though. I don't know about division B, but Solon's high school team looks better than ever this year. I don't see Solon B missing a chance at having 5 straight national wins either.

Solon high school took 1st and 2nd at Wright State invitational a couple weeks ago, and it was easily national level competition.
2011 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Mission Possible, Optics, Birds, Protein Modeling, Technical Problem Solving
2012 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Elastic Gliders, Trees, Microbe Mission, Protein Modeling, Remote Sensing
French_Toast

State: OH

Postby alecfxl on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:11 pm

French_Toast wrote:
geminicross wrote:P.S: Ohio does not have the most national titles.

It won't be long until they do though. I don't know about division B, but Solon's high school team looks better than ever this year. I don't see Solon B missing a chance at having 5 straight national wins either.

Solon high school took 1st and 2nd at Wright State invitational a couple weeks ago, and it was easily national level competition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_Olympiad#Past_National_Locations.5B15.5D_and_Champions.5B16.5D
It'll be a few years yet.
alecfxl

Postby Primate on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:38 am

oh, just give it time. every team slips eventually.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
Primate

State: NY

Postby tornado guy on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 am

dontsenditinthemail wrote:
Other good states include NY, Cali, and Pennsylvania, but to put a state like Washington ahead of Ohio is to ignore results.

We actually were quite good a couple years ago... But we're not better then Ohio now, that's for sure!
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
tornado guy

State: WA

Postby Infinity Flat on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:45 am

tornado guy wrote:

We actually were quite good a couple years ago... But we're not better then Ohio now, that's for sure!

WA took 4th in C division in 02 and 03 and 3rd in 05, and took 4th and then 2nd in 08 / 09.

So historically, we have done quite well, yes.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
Infinity Flat

Division: Grad

Postby tornado guy on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:31 pm

Infinity Flat wrote:
tornado guy wrote:

WA took 4th in C division in 02 and 03 and 3rd in 05, and took 4th and then 2nd in 08 / 09.

So historically, we have done quite well, yes.

That's true; I forgot about how well Prairie did those years at nationals back in the day.

tornado guy

Postby SirBobo on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:58 am

Primate wrote:oh, just give it time. every team slips eventually.

I know, schools have different teams every year.
I am SirBobo and I approve this message

"Insert meaningful quote here"

Image Image
SirBobo

Division: B
State: CA

Postby foreverphysics on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:25 pm

Yes, of course teams change. Solon has done well recently, but JC Booth has a much better and more impressive Nationals record. And yet, we rank Solon above Booth. Why? If Booth has actually done much better than Solon overall, why do we rank Solon above Booth? Just something for you guys to chew on.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
foreverphysics
Wiki Mod
Wiki Mod

State: -

Postby French_Toast on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:19 pm

foreverphysics wrote:Yes, of course teams change. Solon has done well recently, but JC Booth has a much better and more impressive Nationals record. And yet, we rank Solon above Booth. Why? If Booth has actually done much better than Solon overall, why do we rank Solon above Booth? Just something for you guys to chew on.

Probably because Solon's been so dominant over the past couple years. Winning nationals four straight years is no small feat, and their high school team is quite good all the time too, beating out Centerville for the top spot last year.

I probably come off as a bit big headed for speaking so highly of Ohio teams when I'm from here, but I have competed against these guys every tournament since I started SO. I have not been to a tournament where one of them were there that they didn't win.
2011 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Mission Possible, Optics, Birds, Protein Modeling, Technical Problem Solving
2012 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Elastic Gliders, Trees, Microbe Mission, Protein Modeling, Remote Sensing
French_Toast

State: OH

Postby tornado guy on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:46 pm

If forever was referring to overall most competitive then I would agree with her.. But over the past 5 years obviously Solon has been the king of SO.

tornado guy

PreviousNext

Return to Nationals