States sending two teams

JKrafsur
Division: C
State: CO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: States sending two teams

Post by JKrafsur »

chalker wrote:Notice at the bottom of the page it says as of 3/14/12. As we indicated before the official 'lock down' is April 1st, but I doubt things will change much between now and then.
I know it sounds desperate from my perspective, but after April 1st, what happens if a state gives up its spot, do they still change it around to accommodate another team from the next state?
2012-2013 Events:

Astronomy, Write It/Do It, Rocks and Minerals, Food Science?
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

JKrafsur wrote:
chalker wrote:Notice at the bottom of the page it says as of 3/14/12. As we indicated before the official 'lock down' is April 1st, but I doubt things will change much between now and then.
I know it sounds desperate from my perspective, but after April 1st, what happens if a state gives up its spot, do they still change it around to accommodate another team from the next state?
Yes, next in line gets to go. This has happened on rare occasions I believe.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

Like last year--DC didn't go, and so they forfeited a spot to Minnesota, the state next in line. That was how Eastview got to go last year.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly »

foreverphysics wrote:Like last year--DC didn't go, and so they forfeited a spot to Minnesota, the state next in line. That was how Eastview got to go last year.
That is true. I have a hunch that Oklahoma may drop out this year, as well as possibly Arkansas, so Washington and Kansas may get a second team - a considerably more slim chance for Kansas than Washington, but still a possibility.
Julian

Post by Julian »

What is the rationale for a state to give up it's spot at Nationals? I can't imagine why the OK state champs would not want to go, unless it's a funding problem or something similar.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. --Margret Meed
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Julian wrote:What is the rationale for a state to give up it's spot at Nationals? I can't imagine why the OK state champs would not want to go, unless it's a funding problem or something similar.
And even then, I'd just think the 2nd place team would go in their place.....

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

Julian wrote:What is the rationale for a state to give up it's spot at Nationals? I can't imagine why the OK state champs would not want to go, unless it's a funding problem or something similar.
Well, there are VERY few teams in OK. I suspect that none of them take SO very seriously. In the past OK has sent teams to nationals and both times they placed 59th. A trip to nationals is quite expensive, there is no doubt, but it also takes a ton of planning on the part of the coach and/or the team captains. I suspect that based on their repeated disappointing performance at nationals, the OK teams have concluded that it simply isn't worth it to put in all of the time and effort required to make it to nationals only to find that as a team, they are not as prepared as they would like to be.

OK has dropped out every year for the past three years and has not attended nationals for the past four years. If I were the second place Washington team (although they don't yet know who they are) I would prepare and anticipate getting the spot to go to nationals.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
Aia
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: WA

Post by Aia »

It's also important to consider when a team decides to drop out. I know of a team that was invited to nationals after another team dropped. However, they still couldn't accept the invitation because they couldn't secure airfare.
Science Olympiad Alumna and Volunteer
Aia's Boomilever Guide: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%27 ... ever_Guide
JKrafsur
State: CO

Post by JKrafsur »

Now lets just hope they keep that streak going in Div. B. Plus, OK's State Tournament is 2 Weeks Before us, so we would know if we could go at state
2012-2013 Events:

Astronomy, Write It/Do It, Rocks and Minerals, Food Science?
geminicross
State: GA

Post by geminicross »

JKrafsur wrote:Now lets just hope they keep that streak going in Div. B. Plus, OK's State Tournament is 2 Weeks Before us, so we would know if we could go at state
I know OK has at least 4 teams this year though

Return to “2012 Nationals”