Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by Phenylethylamine »

Starapollo1 wrote:I'm having incredible difficulties isolating the two polypeptides we are supposed to model... Upon going to the the prebuild page: [urlhttp://cbm.msoe.edu/includes/jmol/SOJmols/2012PreBuild.html[/url], I tried "restrict chain A" and "restrict chain B" along with multiple variations of the command... and I can't seem to get it to work... the answer is probably really simple but I just can't seem to figure it out.
First, the command to restrict to just chain A would be "restrict *a"; Jmol doesn't know the word "chain".

Second, "restrict" gets rid of everything that isn't included in your argument: if you restrict to chain A and then restrict to chain B, there won't be anything left – you got rid of everything that wasn't chain A, then everything that wasn't chain B, so you'll end up with just an empty screen. If you want chain A and chain B onscreen at the same time, you'll need "restrict *a or *b".
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
ironchef48
Division: C
State: IL

Post by ironchef48 »

Where do you find information about the "protein Story" we are supposed to illustrate? I've read the article about Caspases and found a few unique structures by laying around with jmol, but i feel like I'm missing something because I can't correlate these structures to anything.
(For instance, the molecule pictured alongside the protein in the Caspase-3 graphic on the PDB page)
4th in state- Disease Detectives- not bad considering we never placed before!

2010 events: Ecology, Disease Detectives, Microbe Mission, Helicopter

Throw one away- you will anyway
Starapollo1
State: IN

Post by Starapollo1 »

Phenylethylamine wrote:
Starapollo1 wrote:I'm having incredible difficulties isolating the two polypeptides we are supposed to model... Upon going to the the prebuild page: [urlhttp://cbm.msoe.edu/includes/jmol/SOJmols/2012PreBuild.html[/url], I tried "restrict chain A" and "restrict chain B" along with multiple variations of the command... and I can't seem to get it to work... the answer is probably really simple but I just can't seem to figure it out.
First, the command to restrict to just chain A would be "restrict *a"; Jmol doesn't know the word "chain".

Second, "restrict" gets rid of everything that isn't included in your argument: if you restrict to chain A and then restrict to chain B, there won't be anything left – you got rid of everything that wasn't chain A, then everything that wasn't chain B, so you'll end up with just an empty screen. If you want chain A and chain B onscreen at the same time, you'll need "restrict *a or *b".
Thanks!! Much appreciated
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
butter side up
State: PA

Post by butter side up »

ironchef48 wrote:Where do you find information about the "protein Story" we are supposed to illustrate? I've read the article about Caspases and found a few unique structures by laying around with jmol, but i feel like I'm missing something because I can't correlate these structures to anything.
(For instance, the molecule pictured alongside the protein in the Caspase-3 graphic on the PDB page)
The molecular story aspect of it is mainly centered on the function of the protein and the other proteins or molecules it interacted with. Last year, this meant that the protien interacted with zinc ions and DNA, both of which we included in our model. In addition, it is important to explain them on your notecard. We generally gave samples of all our additions and whatnot taped to the front with labels [ie. a small piece of the n- and c-termini, a H-bond, the ribbon we used to mark alpha helices, etc...] and devoted the back to an explanation of our marked structures and their importance, as well as an explanation of the overall function of the protein. If you mentioned something about Nic, the boy that we have so much stuff on, that would probably be a good part, as well as the function of the proteins and the molecules it interacts with.
I am the one called "TARDIS Hat Girl," and am known as such by all.
2013: Anatomy, Experimental Design, Genetics, Forestry, Disease Detectives
akatsuki9

Post by akatsuki9 »

I had a question on the invite that had to do with Nicholas Volker 2009...
Quoth the raven... "NEVERMORE"
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

akatsuki9 wrote:I had a question on the invite that had to do with Nicholas Volker 2009...
That's hardly surprising, given that his story was the first thing posted on the CBM site.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I have a question regarding Chain A. In the vizualization, residues 207-225 are selected as part of an alpha helix. However, in the image for the sequence, there is a gap at residue 221, and a second helix that enxtends to 226.
Also, in the vizualization, the area in question doesn't really look like a helix: it just happens to be colored that way when i do "select helix... color red". I'm color-coding my Toober for the secondary structures, so my question is, do I go with the jmol or the PDB sequence? I'm thinking the jmol personally, since that's officially in the rules, but I wanted to see what other people think and if anyone else has seen this.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Starapollo1
State: IN

Post by Starapollo1 »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:I have a question regarding Chain A. In the vizualization, residues 207-225 are selected as part of an alpha helix. However, in the image for the sequence, there is a gap at residue 221, and a second helix that enxtends to 226.
Also, in the vizualization, the area in question doesn't really look like a helix: it just happens to be colored that way when i do "select helix... color red". I'm color-coding my Toober for the secondary structures, so my question is, do I go with the jmol or the PDB sequence? I'm thinking the jmol personally, since that's officially in the rules, but I wanted to see what other people think and if anyone else has seen this.
I don't know about invitationals, but the national event supervisor simply goes to jmol and then prints it off with her 3D printer. That being the case, I would build my model as close to the jmol as possible.
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I have submitted an FAQ to soinc.org and am currently anticipating a response. However, I'm leaning toward coloring the helix based on jmol, and folding the part that's not really a helix the way it is on the visualization.

On a side note, I folded chain B this weekend. I felt accomplished. :mrgreen:
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
akatsuki9

Post by akatsuki9 »

Chain B is actually the easier chain to fold.
Quoth the raven... "NEVERMORE"

Return to “2012 Lab Events”