Astronomy C

youngswimmer
Division: B
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by youngswimmer »

hey i just wanted to coment that my mentor name for this is buzz... when i asked him what his last ame was he didnt say lightyear i got ver sad. :cry:
-BAXINGA!!-
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

youngswimmer wrote:hey i just wanted to coment that my mentor name for this is buzz... when i asked him what his last ame was he didnt say lightyear i got ver sad. :cry:
Okay, just to note try to make more appropriate questions/comments relating to the event in the future :). Though, personally I thought of Aldrin first XD. But I think this is more of a post for general chat/posting games. So, just a note for the future.

Now, since this hasn't been so active (hehe, AGNs), I guess I will ask a question or two (or more...). What do people have for the period-luminosity relationship for cepheid variables? I have two equations:
Mv=-2.81log(P) - (1.43 +/- 0.1)
And:
Mv=-2.43 +/- 0.12(log(P)-1) - (4.05 +/- 0.02)
Where, Mv is the absolute magnitude of the cepheid, P is period of course.
Also, I can't remember, is the relationship only for Type I cepheids? Is there one for Type II, or is it just expected to use the graphs to approximate? Does the +/- matter so much; does it just indicate variability? Sorry, I just can't totally tell from what I've been reading.

Wow, tryouts coming up for me, so hopefully I get the event again :D
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
flutest

Post by flutest »

im not vey good with memorizing stuff does anybody have good techniques?
im division b so i doing reach for the stars.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

flutest wrote:im not vey good with memorizing stuff does anybody have good techniques?
Just to direct the question more appropriately the topic for reach for the stars is here:
http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 2&start=15

As a general recommendation I say my post on the last page still somewhat applies in the fact of read the rules, google every part to it, look at the scioly wiki (for reach that is), and the current forum topic (which I linked) and past ones. It's hard work, but if you spend the time you can do it ;). I think I hear going out and trying to observe the stars if you can helps. Hope this helps...but try your question at the reach forum there.

Now, I still am hoping someone can answer my own question above...
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
flutest

Post by flutest »

ya i know im new a round hear and didnt see the thing for it. sorry. but thanks for the help.
syo_astro wrote:
flutest wrote:im not vey good with memorizing stuff does anybody have good techniques?
Just to direct the question more appropriately the topic for reach for the stars is here:
http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 2&start=15

As a general recommendation I say my post on the last page still somewhat applies in the fact of read the rules, google every part to it, look at the scioly wiki (for reach that is), and the current forum topic (which I linked) and past ones. It's hard work, but if you spend the time you can do it ;). I think I hear going out and trying to observe the stars if you can helps. Hope this helps...but try your question at the reach forum there.

Now, I still am hoping someone can answer my own question above...
XJcwolfyX
Division: C

Post by XJcwolfyX »

*Yeah *I'm *around *here *didn't *thread (not thing!) Lol sorry for correcting you . . . .

Anyways, lol, what are the formulae we need to know for the event, and are there any websites with all of them?
Medal Counter: 73
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

There's a formula sheet on the bottom of the Astronomy Wiki. There might be more that you will encounter as you research, but it's a good place to start.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
desmond the moonbear
State: LA

Post by desmond the moonbear »

how do you get the answers to the tiebreakers?
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

By knowing them beforehand. :geek:

It depends a lot on what the tiebreaker is. It can literally be anything. It doesn't even have to be astronomy-related (although ideally it would be). In order for me, or anyone else, to give you better assistance, we'd need to know the question.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by AlphaTauri »

syo_astro wrote:Now, since this hasn't been so active (hehe, AGNs), I guess I will ask a question or two (or more...). What do people have for the period-luminosity relationship for cepheid variables? I have two equations:
Mv=-2.81log(P) - (1.43 +/- 0.1)
And:
Mv=-2.43 +/- 0.12(log(P)-1) - (4.05 +/- 0.02)
Where, Mv is the absolute magnitude of the cepheid, P is period of course.
Also, I can't remember, is the relationship only for Type I cepheids? Is there one for Type II, or is it just expected to use the graphs to approximate? Does the +/- matter so much; does it just indicate variability? Sorry, I just can't totally tell from what I've been reading.
Hm, according to Wiki, the second eq is derived from HST observations of Type I Cepheids, and according to C/O the first eq is supposed to be for Type Is (calculated by HIPPARCOS), so that's good. But C/O also gives Mv = -3.53logP - 2.13 + 2.13(B-V).

I haven't really found any PLRs for Type IIs, however, according to C/O, Type IIs are about 4 times or 1.5 magnitudes fainter than Type Is, so you could just calculate it like a Type I and subtract 1.5 mags. Also, this site gives the following eqs:
Population I: Mv = -2.81 logP - 1.43
Population II: Mv = -2.81 logP + 0.15

Edit: Whoops, realized I made a major mistake. We're good now.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

Return to “2013 Study Events”