Air Trajectory B/C

zarnold16
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by zarnold16 »

Okay so my partner and I have ideas but not sure on the air launching part? Is there any good videos we can watch or good places to find ideas?
Xystus
Division: B

Post by Xystus »

There's an Air trajectory DVD you can get on the SO website that hopefully isn't very expensive. It shows teams testing their devices from last years national competition and gave me lots of helpful ideas.
mej710
State: NY

Post by mej710 »

Would we be allowed to drop a mass on a lever which activates a pump that releases air to shoot the ball? Or does the air pressure that shoots the ball have to come directly from the falling mass?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

mej710 wrote:Would we be allowed to drop a mass on a lever which activates a pump that releases air to shoot the ball? Or does the air pressure that shoots the ball have to come directly from the falling mass?
Rule 3. b. makes no requirement that the potential energy from the falling mass must immediately convert to air pressure. It is only required that air pressure is involved in the launching of your projectile at some point. So the approach you described would probably be legal.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
chinesesushi
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

bernard wrote:
mej710 wrote:Would we be allowed to drop a mass on a lever which activates a pump that releases air to shoot the ball? Or does the air pressure that shoots the ball have to come directly from the falling mass?
Rule 3. b. makes no requirement that the potential energy from the falling mass must immediately convert to air pressure. It is only required that air pressure is involved in the launching of your projectile at some point. So the approach you described would probably be legal.
I doubt your design would be legal, because Rule 3b says that the gravitational potential energy must be converted to air pressure/movement, which means that all the air pressure must come from the gravitational potential energy. Also, all device air chambers (rule 3c) must be at ambient air pressure at the start. Just having air pressure isn't the requirement.
(assuming I read your question correctly mej710 :D)
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
joeyjoejoe
State: GA

Post by joeyjoejoe »

So, you have a weight which applies force on a lever and this lever then applies a force used to pressurize a pump chamber which launches a ball. As long as the lever isn't providing any additional potential energy (read: "falling") then the air pressure that shoots the ball does come from the falling mass alone. In fact, I'd expect this to be one of the designs the creators of the event probably expected to see.
Xystus
Division: B

Post by Xystus »

I have a question regarding 4.d. How will they be able to know the place were the ball first hit the floor target? the ball will keep bouncing after the impact and Because of this it will be difficult to know exactly where the ball first landed just by eying it. The rule say something about using cat litter to indicate the landing spots but I don't see how this can be helpful???
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

Xystus wrote:I have a question regarding 4.d. How will they be able to know the place were the ball first hit the floor target? the ball will keep bouncing after the impact and Because of this it will be difficult to know exactly where the ball first landed just by eying it. The rule say something about using cat litter to indicate the landing spots but I don't see how this can be helpful???

It works pretty well- as does sand or any granular material. Even without it, it is possible to determine where it hits if you pay close attention.
chinesesushi
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

JonB wrote:
Xystus wrote:I have a question regarding 4.d. How will they be able to know the place were the ball first hit the floor target? the ball will keep bouncing after the impact and Because of this it will be difficult to know exactly where the ball first landed just by eying it. The rule say something about using cat litter to indicate the landing spots but I don't see how this can be helpful???

It works pretty well- as does sand or any granular material. Even without it, it is possible to determine where is hit if you pay close attention.
The cat litter is spread within 0.5 m of the target and where the ball lands it will leave a distinctive mark.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
actionpotential

Post by actionpotential »

joeyjoejoe wrote: So, you have a weight which applies force on a lever and this lever then applies a force used to pressurize a pump chamber which launches a ball. As long as the lever isn't providing any additional potential energy (read: "falling") then the air pressure that shoots the ball does come from the falling mass alone. In fact, I'd expect this to be one of the designs the creators of the event probably expected to see.
How would the weight apply a force to the lever without the lever falling down? If the lever turns, is it providing potential energy?

Could you/anyone else elaborate on this idea?

Thanks

Return to “2015 Build Events”