Texas 2015

henceagrin36
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Texas 2015

Post by henceagrin36 »

Congratulations to LASA for winning Division C sweepstakes at Cy-falls!

Straying from the subject, does anybody know if the Husky or Hendrickson invitationals are still going to be held this year? Or if there are any planned invitationals that haven't been posted on the Texas Science Olympiad website?
The University of Texas at Austin
Longhorn Science Olympiad Alumni Association
William P. Clements High School Alumni

2014 Science Olympiad National Tournament
Rocks & Minerals - 1st Place
GeoLogic Mapping - 1st Place
Entomology - 2nd Place

"I love bridge"
"Rock on"
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

What a rush. So who went to the CyFalls invitational and what'd you think about it?

(Particularly anyone who competed in BioProcess Lab, Crimebusters, or Fermi :P )
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
Xanthien
Division: C

Post by Xanthien »

I was in Green Gen, Mission Possible, Dynamic Planet, and Experimental Design. I thought the prompt for Experimental design was a little weird considering the materials given to us, and Dynamic Planet was horribly written. Green Generation was fun, albeit a little easy. Mission Possible was the best proctored event I competed in. All in all, it was a great invitational, though I do wish Game On was offered.
Plans for world domination: the positive side effect of insomnia.

Proud member of the Austin Area Homeschoolers science team.
blakinator8

Post by blakinator8 »

For those of y'all signing up for Kingwood, does the schedule seem a bit odd? Scrambler's in one block and Protein modeling is coach-schedule. Is there a mix-up?
Proud member of the Liberal Arts and Science Academy team, 2012-2015
sofan
Division: B

Post by sofan »

Does anyone have results for Division B? I didn't go and I would like to know. Thanks!
New school year! New scioly season! Another year to do something great!

2013 galveston regionals:
rotor: 3rd
pic: 2nd(Texas event)
overall:3rd
2013 state:
rotor:4th
overall: 12th :I
cena

Post by cena »

Also for Kingwood, the schedule says that it follows the nationals groupings but it seems like it doesn't?
lchs

Post by lchs »

I think the mistake with the schedule might have resulted from a mix up between events. On the list, It's About Time and Mission Possible are right next to each other. Usually, It's About Time is a block event and Mission Possible runs all the day but I think that was accidentally switched on the Kingwood schedule. The same can be said for Protein Modeling and Scrambler. I have asked my coach to email the event coordinator about this so the issue should be resolved soon.

As far alignment with the national schedule goes, I think Kingwood matches up with it for the most part. There might be some differences in the four events mentioned above but the rest looks okay to me (ie: Astronomy and Experimental Design are both in the same time slot at nationals and at Kingwood).
GeoChamp96

Post by GeoChamp96 »

Not to get off topic, but I was wondering what schools are planning to go to Langham Creek vs Carrollton Christian vs Hendrickson for a January Invitational. We'd like to get the most practice we can.

As for CyFalls, other than the slight hiccup with Fermi and a couple of other events, it was run quite well. I'm glad I was able to do Fermi in the end. Bridges was awesome… Whoever proctored that event knew what they were doing.

I will say the Fermi test was impossible… Probably a good indicator of how accurate your wildest estimates are (mine weren't), but not as much for practice with educated guessing and working with numbers. I mean, we were supposed to estimate how long it would take a 1000W washing machine to melt its way to the Earth's core. I don't even know how one would go about calculating that in real life, let alone as a rough estimation in a couple of minutes. It was pretty entertaining though, I was laughing the whole time…

Oh, I will say I was MASSIVELY disappointed that you didn't actually blow my teammate's hand off.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

GeoChamp96 wrote:Not to get off topic, but I was wondering what schools are planning to go to Langham Creek vs Carrollton Christian vs Hendrickson for a January Invitational. We'd like to get the most practice we can.

As for CyFalls, other than the slight hiccup with Fermi and a couple of other events, it was run quite well. I'm glad I was able to do Fermi in the end. Bridges was awesome… Whoever proctored that event knew what they were doing.

I will say the Fermi test was impossible… Probably a good indicator of how accurate your wildest estimates are (mine weren't), but not as much for practice with educated guessing and working with numbers. I mean, we were supposed to estimate how long it would take a 1000W washing machine to melt its way to the Earth's core. I don't even know how one would go about calculating that in real life, let alone as a rough estimation in a couple of minutes. It was pretty entertaining though, I was laughing the whole time…

Oh, I will say I was MASSIVELY disappointed that you didn't actually blow my teammate's hand off.
The fermi test was rather... interesting. PM me if you want a full story :P
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
Xanthien

Post by Xanthien »

GeoChamp96 wrote:Oh, I will say I was MASSIVELY disappointed that you didn't actually blow my teammate's hand off.

Well it's not like I didn't deserve it.
Plans for world domination: the positive side effect of insomnia.

Proud member of the Austin Area Homeschoolers science team.

Return to “2015 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”