bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: 2015 National Tournament: University of Nebraska

Post by bernard »

sjwon3789 wrote:Why does the wiki take division B and C combined? Don't they assess them individually when deciding how many teams to send to national?
That is correct, the number of teams sent per division per state is determined only by the total number of teams in that division. The wiki might not report Division B and Division C team counts separately because data on those numbers might not be available. If it were available I think it would be reported on the wiki that way.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

bernard wrote:
sjwon3789 wrote:Why does the wiki take division B and C combined? Don't they assess them individually when deciding how many teams to send to national?
That is correct, the number of teams sent per division per state is determined only by the total number of teams in that division. The wiki might not report Division B and Division C team counts separately because data on those numbers might not be available. If it were available I think it would be reported on the wiki that way.
Huh, I always thought it showed them separately... it would be a good project to work on, though.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by rfscoach »

Unome wrote:
azuritemalachite wrote:
Unome wrote:
Yeah, I'm hoping Georgia B will make it with so much less teams...
Actually in the past 2 years I believe the size of the Georgia teams has grown...
Division C grew, but Division B has definitely shrunk; if I remember correctly, none of the Regional hosts have changed capacity, but this year we are 10 teams short of the max. However, 112 teams is still probably going to get 2 spots, since Indiana was at 159 total last year and likely will not change that much.
This is useful

GA Div B had shrunk over the past three to four years, but is now back on the rise. We had between 96 and 99 Div B teams last couple years - now back up to 112 with 10 spots still available. Also, there are a number of new Div B regionals this year. Total team numbers by State are released in April - the Map on soinc.org is combined Div B and C totals. The individual B and C state totals are usually posted in March or April on the National Tournament host website.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Just noticed that the official Science Olympiad website now has a page for the National Tournament!
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
watermydoing14
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by watermydoing14 »

At our school, Science Bowl (the official club) has a reputation for "stealing" members of our club, and I haven't decided if having Science Bowl as an event would attract more members to scioly or would introduce more people to Science Bowl and cause them to quit scioly and join science bowl....
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

watermydoing14 wrote:At our school, Science Bowl (the official club) has a reputation for "stealing" members of our club, and I haven't decided if having Science Bowl as an event would attract more members to scioly or would introduce more people to Science Bowl and cause them to quit scioly and join science bowl....
Why only do Science Bowl, when you can do Science Olympiad and get both? I know at least one regional in Southern California has a Science Bowl event at the competition.
Unome

Post by Unome »

bernard wrote:
watermydoing14 wrote:At our school, Science Bowl (the official club) has a reputation for "stealing" members of our club, and I haven't decided if having Science Bowl as an event would attract more members to scioly or would introduce more people to Science Bowl and cause them to quit scioly and join science bowl....
Why only do Science Bowl, when you can do Science Olympiad and get both? I know at least one regional in Southern California has a Science Bowl event at the competition.
Our Regional runs it annually as an informal trial event; it's a great way to stall until scores arrive!
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
samlan16

Post by samlan16 »

Unome wrote:
bernard wrote:
Our Regional runs it annually as an informal trial event; it's a great way to stall until scores arrive!
Oh yes, I remember that. Good times at Gainesville, where everyone obviously had studied Nobel Prize winners instead of their actual events.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
boomvroomshroom
Division: C
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by boomvroomshroom »

samlan16 wrote:
Unome wrote:
bernard wrote: Why only do Science Bowl, when you can do Science Olympiad and get both? I know at least one regional in Southern California has a Science Bowl event at the competition.
Oh yes, I remember that. Good times at Gainesville, where everyone obviously had studied Nobel Prize winners instead of their actual events.
Wow, you guys studied? Everyone around me was playing QuizUp and Trivia Crack on their phones.
Unome

Post by Unome »

boomvroomshroom wrote:
samlan16 wrote:
Unome wrote: Our Regional runs it annually as an informal trial event; it's a great way to stall until scores arrive!
Wow, you guys studied? Everyone around me was playing QuizUp and Trivia Crack on their phones.
Studied for what? The events or the Science Bowl?
Userpage

Return to “2015 Nationals”