[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
parttimecoach
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Reach for the Stars B

Post by parttimecoach »

Hi,
I am first time coach and trying to help my team with "Reach for stars" topic.
The official science Olympiad website says "NOTE: This is archived material and will be updated for 2016!".
So wondering
1) What is the expected from students in test and
2) Where to start looking for material for study?

I found this elsewhere on this site:
"Reach for the Stars is an event dealing with stellar astronomy. In one part of it, you have to be able to identify constellations and individual stars given a star map or a planetarium projection. Then, there will be other questions relating to stellar classifications, stellar evolution, H-R Diagrams, and other such things."

Thanks in advance.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

parttimecoach wrote:Hi,
I am first time coach and trying to help my team with "Reach for stars" topic.
The official science Olympiad website says "NOTE: This is archived material and will be updated for 2016!".
So wondering
1) What is the expected from students in test and
2) Where to start looking for material for study?

I found this elsewhere on this site:
"Reach for the Stars is an event dealing with stellar astronomy. In one part of it, you have to be able to identify constellations and individual stars given a star map or a planetarium projection. Then, there will be other questions relating to stellar classifications, stellar evolution, H-R Diagrams, and other such things."

Thanks in advance.
The event seems to be mostly the same as in 2013 (when I took it) so the links and materials from then should be largely accurate. I don't remember much about the event itself, but what I do remember and can figure out by looking at the rules is basically ID and info (objects viewed in different wavelengths of light will likely come up), interpreting charts/map/etc, and calculations. As for where to find material, I'd suggest that you start with the wiki and soinc.org, and websites with good info.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
20arana

Post by 20arana »

Does anyone know if the tests will be done in a planetarium or using star maps?
Unome

Post by Unome »

20arana wrote:Does anyone know if the tests will be done in a planetarium or using star maps?
I'm not sure what you mean by planetarium, but we got star maps often when I competed.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

Unome wrote:
20arana wrote:Does anyone know if the tests will be done in a planetarium or using star maps?
I'm not sure what you mean by planetarium, but we got star maps often when I competed.
It depends on the competition, but (inflatable) planetariums are certainly a possibility, as you get to actually navigate the sky and you have to know the relative location of the DSOs on the sky rather than just RA/Dec. (Though, knowing the constellations isn't terribly important in actual astronomy, as I know... maybe 10 of them?) I haven't seen the rules for this year, but the last time I competed, I believe red-filtered flashlights were listed among the team materials, so the writers are definitely leaving that option open for supervisors.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
JennJ

Tycho's SNR

Post by JennJ »

Tycho's SNR is on the study list for RFTS, can anyone confirm that this is the same as : SN 1572?

Thanks,

Jenn
2nd year SO coach.
Jaol

Re: Tycho's SNR

Post by Jaol »

JennJ wrote:Tycho's SNR is on the study list for RFTS, can anyone confirm that this is the same as : SN 1572?

Thanks,

Jenn
2nd year SO coach.
Wikipedia! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SN_1572 If you dont believe in Wikipedia look at the sources.
Whiteheat073
Division: B
State: IL

Post by Whiteheat073 »

In the event parameters, it says that we may be required to provide clipboards and red-filtered flashlights. Why must they be filtered red?
CM
Yes I'm a geek who likes TF2. Don't judge me.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Whiteheat073 wrote:In the event parameters, it says that we may be required to provide clipboards and red-filtered flashlights. Why must they be filtered red?
Astronomers often use red flashlights because they allow their eyes to be adjusted for the dark while providing a source of light. When star watching, you'll have a better experience if your eyes are adjusted to the dark.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “2016 Study Events”