Help/Information about running a SO club

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Korcha
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help/Information about running a SO club

Post by Korcha »

So I started a SciOly club at my school just this year and I'm still trying to get it it all figured out.
Basically what I want to know is: How is the club ran at your school?

For example: Do you guys split up into different research and event groups/teams or does your club stick together and learn about the same material and events at the same time?

Any information would be great appreciated. Thanks :)
musicalcoconut
Division: Grad
State: MN

Re: Help/Information about running a SO club

Post by musicalcoconut »

Korcha wrote: Do you guys split up into different research and event groups/teams or does your club stick together and learn about the same material and events at the same time?
At my school, in the beginning of the season, everyone is assigned to events which they pretty much stick with the whole season. Everyone just focuses on their assigned events, although of course in some cases people might help a bit with events other than their own. Having everyone all learn the same material and events wouldn't really be an effective way to do well in competition, because only 2 people from your team can actually compete in each event at a competition.

Good luck with starting your team! Science Olympiad is awesome. :D
2014 Graduate of Mounds View High School
National Medalist in Elastic Launched Glider (2013) and Dynamic Planet (2014)
Korcha
State: CA

Post by Korcha »

That's what I thought it was going to be like.
Thanks for the reply :)

One more question though... Where does your guys' clubs get its funding and budget: from the school or all through fundraisers?
fantasyfan
State: NY

Post by fantasyfan »

Korcha wrote: One more question though... Where does your guys' clubs get its funding and budget: from the school or all through fundraisers?
My school district pays entirely for regionals, and partially for states, but for the invitational tournament that my school goes to, the rest of the states cost, and if we make it, all of nationals is paid for by fundraising and a little bit of the charging of students.
If this is your first year, than you probably won't be going to invitationals (which is a practice tournament that anyone can sign up for) or nationals, so if your district decides to pay as much as ours, than all you'll need is some fundraising if you go to states. The problem is districts are very hard to convince to spend money one new clubs, so your first year will probably be mostly based on fundraisers

I hope this helps :) , good luck starting a team, seems like a lot of work, but it most certainly will be worth it :D .
Looking forward to anatomy, protein, fossils, and optics (NYS trial) this year!
musicalcoconut
State: MN

Post by musicalcoconut »

Korcha wrote:That's what I thought it was going to be like.
Thanks for the reply :)

One more question though... Where does your guys' clubs get its funding and budget: from the school or all through fundraisers?
At my school a lot of the money for the team comes from all members paying an activity fee, but we also are working on finding companies who are willing to sponsor us.
2014 Graduate of Mounds View High School
National Medalist in Elastic Launched Glider (2013) and Dynamic Planet (2014)
silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

fantasyfan wrote:My school district pays entirely for regionals, and partially for states, but for the invitational tournament that my school goes to, the rest of the states cost, and if we make it, all of nationals is paid for by fundraising and a little bit of the charging of students.
If this is your first year, than you probably won't be going to invitationals (which is a practice tournament that anyone can sign up for) or nationals, so if your district decides to pay as much as ours, than all you'll need is some fundraising if you go to states. The problem is districts are very hard to convince to spend money one new clubs, so your first year will probably be mostly based on fundraisers

I hope this helps :) , good luck starting a team, seems like a lot of work, but it most certainly will be worth it :D .
Also, each member of our team pays $30 for dues at the beginning of the year. That is a possibility, although I understand that you most likely want to keep student expenses down as much as possible.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer

Return to “General Competition”