Scioly Summer Study Session 2015

Panda Weasley
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2015

Post by Panda Weasley »

c-trast wrote:Gettin' on the SSSS train really late.
I started my entry before school got out, and I'm only just now finishing it. Don't worry. ;)
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
Fluorine
Division: Grad
State: FL
Been thanked: 0

Post by Fluorine »

Panda Weasley wrote:
c-trast wrote:Gettin' on the SSSS train really late.
I started my entry before school got out, and I'm only just now finishing it. Don't worry. ;)
Good to hear. Still working and started at same time. Was starting to think that I was just really slow, but thanks for the confidence boost. :D
Alumni of FAUHS SO | Logistics Direcotor @ Cornell Scioly
Wind Power, Anatomy, Invasive Species, Materials Science, Optics, Entomology,
 Cell Biology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

I don't really have a particular deadline date. I guess before end of August unless forever thinks mid-Aug would be better. Admittedly, finishing faster does help get access faster, so maybe just use that as motivation ;).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
lp9845
Division: C
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by lp9845 »

Hi! I sent my forensics notes a week ago and I was wondering if you guys got it alright. My gmail is the same as my username. :) I'm not sure if it was sent to spam or if you guys are just backed up. Thanks!
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

lp9845 wrote:Hi! I sent my forensics notes a week ago and I was wondering if you guys got it alright. My gmail is the same as my username. :) I'm not sure if it was sent to spam or if you guys are just backed up. Thanks!
We did get it fine in fact. I know someone is trying to find time to check it, but I guess everyone gets distracted by summer stuff to some extent. Hope to reply soon!
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

The official SSSS end date will be August 31st, 2015. Enjoy, guys.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Not to complain, but you guys are really picky about what you accept notes-wise. I submitted a compilation of wiki info for invasives that i was using as a draft to create my own field guide and it wasnt accepted. Admittingly, i did not write it, but it took at least 100 hours to create amd I'm
not about to type up a written field guide i created that took at least a 1000 hours to create so someone else could walk into a test a medal without studying a whole lot. Again, just a suggestion to why people gave up on ssss like i did
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

windu34 wrote:Not to complain, but you guys are really picky about what you accept notes-wise. I submitted a compilation of wiki info for invasives that i was using as a draft to create my own field guide and it wasnt accepted. Admittingly, i did not write it, but it took at least 100 hours to create amd I'm
not about to type up a written field guide i created that took at least a 1000 hours to create so someone else could walk into a test a medal without studying a whole lot. Again, just a suggestion to why people gave up on ssss like i did
Yeah, I typed up all of my Hydrogeo notes from scratch, and the person who was checking it wanted me to format every picture and list in a specific way; also he only replied to emails once a week. In the end, my original notes were uploaded, the formatted ones never used.

I would like to see some invasives notes, it would help me in creating my binder :D
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
windu34 wrote:Not to complain, but you guys are really picky about what you accept notes-wise. I submitted a compilation of wiki info for invasives that i was using as a draft to create my own field guide and it wasnt accepted. Admittingly, i did not write it, but it took at least 100 hours to create amd I'm
Yeah, I typed up all of my Hydrogeo notes from scratch, and the person who was checking it wanted me to format every picture and list in a specific way; also he only replied to emails once a week. In the end, my original notes were uploaded, the formatted ones never used.

I would like to see some invasives notes, it would help me in creating my binder :D
To Magikarpmaster, very sorry if I uploaded the wrong notes, I make mistakes, and I know of others I made when quickly uploading files (my own submission I put the word docs, not PDF -_____- ... if anyone has problems with that PM me). Maybe I got lost in the emails.

To both of you, unless you show me the hours you clocked in, then you can't prove that technically :P. This summer was a bit difficult for various reasons in terms of handling modding and checking, but I strongly disagree that "people gave up on ssss". There were 45 submissions across various events. Checking back in previous years, that's about as many as we've always got (forever says around 80 at the start of this, I am not sure where she got that from, and 40s makes sense anyway). A lot of time does in fact go into trying to check notes, everyone is busy, and the work that goes into this is really not simple. I am sorry that your submissions did not go as you wanted, and I hope that you don't feel this way in the future.

Also, even if you did share some written field guide, that is not necessarily "giving someone a medal". Depending on the competition and competitors, in fact, the notes could hardly factor in. I know sometimes it depends on whether the test is "good" and certainly not every test is "good". But nonetheless, if you worked and some others didn't, then simply having the notes should not make much of a difference. The only difference is that the notes might spur someone on to either use them or make someone's own, where making that would probably be more help anyway. The point of this website is to help eachother and share. This type of stuff gets discussed in other posts/topics, so I would like to leave it at that.

I would like to note about the Invasives mod that he has actually had one of the busier times modding than some of the other people (along with me and the bio people). He also has to check green gen and fossils I think or something, and we got a lot for those.

Hope everyone is having a good end of summer!
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

syo_astro wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:

To Magikarpmaster, very sorry if I uploaded the wrong notes, I make mistakes, and I know of others I made when quickly uploading files (my own submission I put the word docs, not PDF -_____- ... if anyone has problems with that PM me). Maybe I got lost in the emails.

To both of you, unless you show me the hours you clocked in, then you can't prove that technically :P. This summer was a bit difficult for various reasons in terms of handling modding and checking, but I strongly disagree that "people gave up on ssss". There were 45 submissions across various events. Checking back in previous years, that's about as many as we've always got (forever says around 80 at the start of this, I am not sure where she got that from, and 40s makes sense anyway). A lot of time does in fact go into trying to check notes, everyone is busy, and the work that goes into this is really not simple. I am sorry that your submissions did not go as you wanted, and I hope that you don't feel this way in the future.

Also, even if you did share some written field guide, that is not necessarily "giving someone a medal". Depending on the competition and competitors, in fact, the notes could hardly factor in. I know sometimes it depends on whether the test is "good" and certainly not every test is "good". But nonetheless, if you worked and some others didn't, then simply having the notes should not make much of a difference. The only difference is that the notes might spur someone on to either use them or make someone's own, where making that would probably be more help anyway. The point of this website is to help eachother and share. This type of stuff gets discussed in other posts/topics, so I would like to leave it at that.

I would like to note about the Invasives mod that he has actually had one of the busier times modding than some of the other people (along with me and the bio people). He also has to check green gen and fossils I think or something, and we got a lot for those.

Hope everyone is having a good end of summer!
I don't know if you've ever done an event like entomology or invasives, but to read, annotate, and comprehend a list of 100 species takes an incredible amount of time. In my state, I could guarantee a medal at regionals to someone with my field guide simply because it is neat, organized, and detailed yet to the point.(maybe not first, but def. top 3) My regional is not super competitive, but not entirely easy either. When I say people gave up, I mean they submitted a couple times, got rejected, and decided it would just be easier not to bother with ssss. Also the amount of detail you are demanding from builders is ridiculous. People are willing to share pics and describe devices, but most people are not going to create a shopping list so someone else can go to home depot and build it in an hour. I am both a builder and a studier and have found the only reasonable way to get into ssss is to write a test hence the reason so many people do so.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage

Return to “SSSS & SEC”