Scioly Summer Study Session 2015

Panda Weasley
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2015

Post by Panda Weasley »

Okay, it seems that I finally might have time to write an Exp Des test. I was thinking of doing a stationed test, but I know not all states do that. In this case should I write one of each?
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

Can someone put down the current number of tests/notes/builds submitted?
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

mnstr can answer your question better Panda, but I believe it was discussed to do something fairly extensive. For example, making a few experimental design setups, and you then create the associated full write ups for each. I have not really heard of stations for an ExpD test, so maybe try to keep it as "normal" full experiments? If the stations get across the same ideas, then I would suppose that's fine, unless they deviate highly from what the event is commonly about.

Total submissions I have down at: 19
Total users that have submitted I have at: 17

By event, the events with more than one submission in order from highest to lowest are: It's About Time, Invasives, Anat&Phys/Cell Bio/Disease (tie here).
Alphabetical order of events with just one submission so far: Air Traj, ChemLab, Crave the Wave, Electric Vehicle, Road Scholar

Keeping us busy, and I'm very happy/thankful for it! Note, the number of events we have currently does not mean we are more willing to accept a submission for "balance" or something. I do hope it gives you some ideas on events, though, where you see more practice/investigation could be available for everyone, including yourself (the test exchange helps to see this too). Not bad for one week :).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
JoJoKeKe
State: ID
Been thanked: 0

Post by JoJoKeKe »

I'll be posting my fossil test during this upcoming week.
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1

Events 2019: Herpetology, Fossils, Dynamic Planet, Fermi Questions
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

JoJoKeKe wrote:I'll be posting my fossil test during this upcoming week.
Just to be sure: you should email your test to [email protected], not post it in the text exchange or as an attachment to a post.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

bernard wrote:
JoJoKeKe wrote:I'll be posting my fossil test during this upcoming week.
Just to be sure: you should email your test to [email protected], not post it in the text exchange or as an attachment to a post.
Alternatively, you could post your test on the thread, and we could publicly criticise it,and while that might give the mods some sadistic pleasure, that would also scare away all new prospective members. And we wouldn't want that, would we?

And of course, read the opening post. It has everything you guys need to know about this, such as hitting the reply to all button.
Ahem.

*disappears again*
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

I'm halfway through my notes...

*sighs and goes back to writing*
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
19sawickin
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by 19sawickin »

Are we allowed to submit tests that we took at an invitational? More specifically my expid team got third at the Wright State invite this year only losing a few points. Is it ok to submit this expid?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

19sawickin wrote:Are we allowed to submit tests that we took at an invitational? More specifically my expid team got third at the Wright State invite this year only losing a few points. Is it ok to submit this expid?
I would suggest you reread the OP; it says "You may make a test and answer key"
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

syo_astro wrote:mnstr can answer your question better Panda, but I believe it was discussed to do something fairly extensive. For example, making a few experimental design setups, and you then create the associated full write ups for each. I have not really heard of stations for an ExpD test, so maybe try to keep it as "normal" full experiments? If the stations get across the same ideas, then I would suppose that's fine, unless they deviate highly from what the event is commonly about.
The way stationed tests are set up each station focusses on different parts of the write up. For example station 1 could be analyzing a graph, and station 6 could be writing the statement of problem, hypothesis, and variables for a given experiment. The reason I ask is that I know my coach has been struggling to find tests set up like this, and it's important to practice the format. Should I wait for mnstr's opinion?
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:

Return to “SSSS & SEC”