Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Write It Do It B/C

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for Write It Do It B/C.
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
jazzy009
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by jazzy009 »

New for this year: we can write single letters. Does anyone thing that will help for anything? I suppose you could use it as a numbering system but I always use...well numbers.
Call me coach.
IZhou186
Division: B
State: CA

Post by IZhou186 »

how do you practice for write it do it?
Arthur
State: PA

Post by Arthur »

jazzy009 wrote:New for this year: we can write single letters. Does anyone thing that will help for anything? I suppose you could use it as a numbering system but I always use...well numbers.
what does it mean when it says single letters?
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Probably that you can write letters without attaching them to anything else, like R and L for right and left, stuff like that. It could potentially be helpful in saving time, I guess.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
sweetcoop
State: CO

Post by sweetcoop »

IZhou186 wrote:how do you practice for write it do it?

To pratice you get enough materials of for your state probably legos, or K'nex something like that(every state uses something different with what i have heard, for example Colorado is a Bass ackwards state cause we use crafting materials and random stuff) so your coach can build two exact modles. than you use one have the writer write for it that take it apart that have the builder build. Than you look at the other modle and see how close you were.

Other ways to pratice are verbally but that is not how competition is. This will help you understand what you partner means when he writes something down. What you do is have the two modles again but this time you have one that is taken apart than your partner has one that he won't touch. than you sit with your backs to eachother than your partner tries to explain how to build the modle to you.

Also for the person that asked about the single letter. What you are allowed to use is any character that you can type using the shift key and one other key on the standard 101 Keyboard. so !@#$%^&*()_+can all be used but ☺☻♥♦♣♠•◘○ which were made with the alt key and the numpad are not allowed. so yes a single letter is allowed. Single letters will be helpful for shorthand and can save you time while writing. Hope i helped.
ImageImage
The 10 most important two letter words.
If it is to be, it is up to me
physicsphan

Post by physicsphan »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:Probably that you can write letters without attaching them to anything else, like R and L for right and left, stuff like that. It could potentially be helpful in saving time, I guess.
The addition was added more for clarify that writing "...in the shape of an L" was okay.

While you can abbreviate the word "right" with R, do not forget that you need to define it at some point.
IZhou186
Division: B
State: CA

Post by IZhou186 »

Oh, I see how to practice now.

Thanks sweetcoop!
jazzy009

Post by jazzy009 »

physicsphan wrote: The addition was added more for clarify that writing "...in the shape of an L" was okay.
Does that really clarify it? While it says we can use single letters, I believe it doesn't say we can use them as a symbol for what the object looks like. I think the only thing this changes is people can now "letter" their steps (I choose to number...).

If someone has the answer, post it please.
Call me coach.
sweetcoop
State: CO

Post by sweetcoop »

jazzy009 wrote:
physicsphan wrote: The addition was added more for clarify that writing "...in the shape of an L" was okay.
Does that really clarify it? While it says we can use single letters, I believe it doesn't say we can use them as a symbol for what the object looks like. I think the only thing this changes is people can now "letter" their steps (I choose to number...).

If someone has the answer, post it please.
You can use a single letter to describe the shape if the object is in the shape of the letter. you CANNOT draw the general shape of the object as stated and the rules and you also CANNOT indent your writing so that the paragraph is in the shape of the object. I have not done this but people from the team my Middle School sci O coach use to coach had people do that. than again that was also in Colorado but still don't tempt the judges. Single letters also can save time, like using 'u' for 'you', 'c' for 'see' just simple shorthand
ImageImage
The 10 most important two letter words.
If it is to be, it is up to me

Return to “2010 Lab Events”