Mousetrap Vehicle C

ktrujillo52
Division: Grad
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by ktrujillo52 »

Balsa wood at your nearest hobby store. Idk about the rest.
winneratlife
State: MI

Post by winneratlife »

Does anybody have any ideas for wheels? I'm considering CD's, but they don't seem to have enough traction.
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

winneratlife wrote:Does anybody have any ideas for wheels? I'm considering CD's, but they don't seem to have enough traction.
CD and even vinyl record wheels are common. You can easily improve the traction of a CD by adding rubber bands or and "sticky" substance to the wheels.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
fgdownsups
Division: C
State: OH

Post by fgdownsups »

how do i wind up strings on my axles on the moving vehicle without having them go loose or double up on themselves and throwing all my math out the window?

im using the one trap per axle design and need the winding up for both the trigger and the reverse

also, is overshooting the starting point on the way back penalized in the distance score or is it just scoring how far you deviate from a straight line?
ktrujillo52
State: IN

Post by ktrujillo52 »

I put this little circular thing in on the base in front of the axle so that it would wind straight. You could use a piece of a straw but the string would probably cut through it.

I do not think that overshooting the distance on the way back is a problem as long as it doesn't go more than 1 meter beyong the starting point (I think, not sure). But you only get penalized for deviating from the line if you deviate more than 1 meter.
winneratlife

Post by winneratlife »

Does anybody have a well working release mechanism that isn't easily accidentally triggered? The mousetraps I have are very sensitive and I am worried about accidentally triggering them as I wind the car.
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

what type of mouse traps are you using? for the ones i use I just take a pair of pliers and bend the rod so it creates a tighter fit on the bait holder...it's a victor musetrap with the yellow plastic bait thing.
penclspinner

Post by penclspinner »

fgdownsups wrote:is overshooting the starting point on the way back penalized in the distance score or is it just scoring how far you deviate from a straight line?
Over-running the start line on the way back will not be penalized.

Assuming all other conditions are constant, the distance scores are the same for a vehicle that stops in 10.0 cm front of the start line and for a vehicle that stops 10.0 cm behind the start line.
winneratlife

Post by winneratlife »

Yup that's the mousetrap.
Still, is that allowed? I mean, the rules do say one or two unmodified mousetraps.
penclspinner

Post by penclspinner »

winneratlife wrote:Yup that's the mousetrap.
Still, is that allowed? I mean, the rules do say one or two unmodified mousetraps.
Yeah the word "unmodified" can be kind of icky. I'm just going to keep an eye out here for future clarification (pun intended)

Return to “2010 Build Events”