Dynamic Planet B/C

smarticle13
Division: B
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by smarticle13 »

zyzzyva98 wrote:That's not really testing anyone. A test should be broader than that. You could have the worst DyPlan team in the world but if you are good at one thing you would get a high score. That's not very fair. Did the schools run the events at your regionals?
i don't think so, a comittee usually does the regionals, state and nationals, but I agree with you
13 Medals:
Dynamic Planet (2nd place and 3rd place)
Elevated Bridge (3rd place)
Meteorology (1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place, 3rd place and another one at State!)
Road Scholar (1st place)
Shock Value (3rd place)
Solar System (1st place, 4th place)
We've Got Your Number (1st place)
IdahoSciGuy
Division: Grad
State: ID

Post by IdahoSciGuy »

In the test I gave at state this weekend we had a broad range of questions requiring different types of thought processes. It was wide ranging, covering everything from multiple choice to diagrams to fill in the blank to essay questions.

One of the things i wish was put on the final version of the test was an epicenter finding activity, which I thought was needed for something at the state level, however the woman in charge of it said it would've made the test too long, as it was already 9 pages. I don't think i agree with that completely though. Instead of the activity, we had essay questions regarding how to find an epicenter, and info gathered if there were only 2 seismic stations that collected data.
Actually, if you don't mind, it's just the doctor. - Doctor Who.

Board of Directors
Idaho Science Olympiad
Celeste
Division: C
State: NE

Post by Celeste »

I just saw on the news that a volcano erupted in Iceland. Wind currents are carrying a bunch of ash particles over Europe and it's causing a ton of cancellations for air travel because the volcanic ash can hurt plane engines if it gets inside of them.
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)
gyourkoshaven
State: PA

Post by gyourkoshaven »

That and the 6.9 earthquake in western China. Too much geology for one 4-month period.
Strath Haven MS:
2008: Regionals-3, States-5
2009: Regionals-2, States-4
2010: Regionals-1, States-2, Nationals-19 :)
2011 (Co-captain): Regionals-1, States-1, Nationals-11 :D

Nationals: Aquifers-37, Compute This-13, Dynamic Planet-25, Ecology-6, Experimental Design-7, Junkyard-33

Moving to C...
IdahoSciGuy
State: ID

Post by IdahoSciGuy »

What i think is really interesting is the earthquakes that have been happening in oklahoma. You would think they wouldn't have to worry about it much, but it just goes to show that earthquakes can happen everywhere.
Actually, if you don't mind, it's just the doctor. - Doctor Who.

Board of Directors
Idaho Science Olympiad
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

IdahoSciGuy wrote:What i think is really interesting is the earthquakes that have been happening in oklahoma. You would think they wouldn't have to worry about it much, but it just goes to show that earthquakes can happen everywhere.
Yeah, intraplate earthquakes. There was also one in Nebraska in, like, December.
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

smarticle13
Division: B
State: TX

Post by smarticle13 »

Hey, did you guys hear about the giant ash cloud in europe that is delaying thousands of flights? any explanations?
13 Medals:
Dynamic Planet (2nd place and 3rd place)
Elevated Bridge (3rd place)
Meteorology (1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place, 3rd place and another one at State!)
Road Scholar (1st place)
Shock Value (3rd place)
Solar System (1st place, 4th place)
We've Got Your Number (1st place)
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

Umm...a volcano erupted?
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
soobsession

Post by soobsession »

smarticle13 wrote:Hey, did you guys hear about the giant ash cloud in europe that is delaying thousands of flights? any explanations?
Yep. An volcano expoloded (how did you guess?). It was a volcano in Iceland that threw a 6 km high plume of ash that winds blew to the east and is causing major damage to air traffic in Northern Europe. (It's the worst since 9/11). The eruption was under the Eyjafjallajokull glacier (I'm not kidding. That's how you spell it.) and continued to spew ash after 40 hours of activity. A third of the glacial ice covering the crater was melted. It is not a big surprise that a volcano erupted in Iceland as it sits on a hotspot on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. Most pose no threat to people or property because they are located in sparsely populated places.

More Info: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100415/ts_ ... nd_volcano

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

Celeste

Post by Celeste »

There was a 'bonus' question (I guess that just meant it was like a tiebreaker question) on the States test in NE yesterday about the recent eruption. We just had to say where it was, (Yeah. Iceland.) but it made me so happy that I randomly decided to watch the news a few nights ago! :mrgreen:

Return to “2010 Study Events”