rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by rocketman1555 »

[dan] wrote:Thanks guys. Another question: Do the tests tend to focus very much on Mohorovic discontinuity? Because I was taking a practice test and it went really in-depth on the subject, but I couldn't find much information on it anywhere.
The only thing I've seen on tests about the Moho is where it is and how seismic waves change after passing it. Other than that there hasn't been much more on any of the tests I've taken, but it will depend on who is writing the test.
zyzzyva98 wrote:I would use the excuse that I only did one competition w/ DyPlan but since it was at state and I got third I can't really say that. Okay, yeah, rifts and ridges do form, but as robotman said it depends on how technical you get. Wikipedia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergent_plate_boundary And that's also why I added a 2% disclaimer
I checked it with more than wikipedia: http://www.ceoe.udel.edu/extreme2001/mi ... ridge.html.
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.
soobsession
Division: C

Post by soobsession »

rocketman1555 wrote:
[dan] wrote:Thanks guys. Another question: Do the tests tend to focus very much on Mohorovic discontinuity? Because I was taking a practice test and it went really in-depth on the subject, but I couldn't find much information on it anywhere.
The only thing I've seen on tests about the Moho is where it is and how seismic waves change after passing it. Other than that there hasn't been much more on any of the tests I've taken, but it will depend on who is writing the test.
Our Regionals test had the Moho, but all it asked for you to do was define it. It's all on your state and the event supervisor, though.

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

soobsession

Post by soobsession »

What was the Nationals test like???

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by robotman »

soobsession wrote:What was the Nationals test like???
There where two sections one all multiple guess and fill in the blank the other section was a epicenter locating activity and graphing pacific plate movements
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
pjgscioisamazing
State: NY

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

I thought the C div event was very... interesting. Kinda difficult, especially with it being so long, and it mostly being practical questions. I did think it was good though, wince it was split into two sections (Earthquakes and Volcanoes), so it was easy to split up, and that it truly did separate the good from the great, just like the supervisor said.
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
kmax12

Post by kmax12 »

pjgscioisamazing wrote:I thought the C div event was very... interesting. Kinda difficult, especially with it being so long, and it mostly being practical questions. I did think it was good though, wince it was split into two sections (Earthquakes and Volcanoes), so it was easy to split up, and that it truly did separate the good from the great, just like the supervisor said.
I concur. The test was enjoyable. Mr. Crittendon is my state supervisor as well so I have had the pleasure of taking 4 tests from him[(nats and states)*2]
09-10
Dynamic Planet - 1st @ regional, 6th @ state, 5th @ nats
Forensics- 2nd @ regional, 1th @ state, 1st @ nats

10-11
Dynamic Planet - 1st @ regional, 4th @ state, 3rd @ nats
Forensics- 2nd @ regional, 1th @ state, 2nd @ nats
Heli 1st @ regional, 1st @ state, 16th @ nats

NTSO4L
pjgscioisamazing

kmax12 wrote:
pjgscioisamazing wrote:I thought the C div event was very... interesting. Kinda difficult, especially with it being so long, and it mostly being practical questions. I did think it was good though, wince it was split into two sections (Earthquakes and Volcanoes), so it was easy to split up, and that it truly did separate the good from the great, just like the supervisor said.
I concur. The test was enjoyable. Mr. Crittendon is my state supervisor as well so I have had the pleasure of taking 4 tests from him[(nats and states)*2]
Were all his events like that?

I liked how it was a long test, and I really enjoyed the amount of practical stuff that was in it.

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

What? Conor actually let you split the test? That's new, he refused to so much as let me answer anything, all he let me do was graph something =/
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
pjgscioisamazing

gneissisnice wrote:
What? Conor actually let you split the test? That's new, he refused to so much as let me answer anything, all he let me do was graph something =/
:lol: Yeah, he was like that at regionals/states, kinda, but we had to split it. I f we didn't we wouldn't have even come close to finishing.

quizbowl

Post by quizbowl »

now that DP's topic is freshwater, what do you think they will ask on the tests?
its such a narrow topic..
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

Return to “2010 Study Events”