Sounds of Music C

Bogoradwee
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by Bogoradwee »

quizbowl wrote:Would bamboo flutes be legal? We were thinking about maybe a bansuri.
I was certainly considering a pan flute. Although I'm probably gonna use PVC piping. Where do I get bamboo? lol
Science Olympiad: Guessing and BSing our way to victory!
Btw, if you see me in IRC chat, I'm Exothermic
2009: I don't remember/ not very noteworthy.
2010: See above.
2011: Regionals- 3rd WIDI, 3rd Optics, 3rd Fossils, 3rd overall States- 4th WIDI
ichaelm
State: PA

Post by ichaelm »

JimY wrote:Why do I say to choose a stirring classical piece? The judges will likely be familiar with how it goes, and so will know how well it's played. This makes it much easier to judge and the judge will appreciate you taking what they are likely to know into account. If they aren't familiar with your chosen piece, and they probably will NOT be familiar with pop music, does anyone think they will give high marks when they don't know how it should sound? Another genre of music that most judges are likely to be familiar with is classic rock. Basically any music that's been around for more than the lifetime of the contestants, and older may be better.

ichaelm, us winning the event is no skin off your team's nose, as your team is an absolute rock in this event. I was just hoping for a top 10 in it since we ended up around 20th the year before. It was an absolute shock when they announced us as the winner.
Thanks! This is definitely one of the most fun events there is. I'm not doing it this year, but the guys who are have a pretty big obligation to continue the legacy of our former seniors!
phillies413
Division: C

Post by phillies413 »

is anyone thinking of building a xylophone?
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

The xylophone will likely be a popular choice for the percussion instrument. The differences will be in material used- does the quality of sound of wood make up for its lack in volume? And is the opposite true for metal? What about being adventurous and trying different materials? It's up to you to decide which material fits best for your style, if you are building a xylophone.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
ichaelm

Post by ichaelm »

Homeschool Geek
State: CO

Post by Homeschool Geek »

Theboredmaster wrote:My partner and I are making chimes and an ocarina. I'm in charge of the chimes but I'm not really sure how to getstarted. What would be the best material to use? Preferably not that expensive.
I was looking at doing an ocarina, but found that since it's a vessel flute it can't be overblown. You will be able to play the required scale on an ocarina, but you won't be able to play the full scorable range or any accidentals very easily.
Please click! >>ImageImageImage
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by robotman »

thought you guys might find this interesting/invormative.
PVC Instrument
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
ichaelm

Post by ichaelm »

robotman09 wrote:thought you guys might find this interesting/invormative.
PVC Instrument
Haha, that's the same video I posted!
Vizard007
State: CA

Post by Vizard007 »

Homeschool Geek wrote:
Theboredmaster wrote:My partner and I are making chimes and an ocarina. I'm in charge of the chimes but I'm not really sure how to getstarted. What would be the best material to use? Preferably not that expensive.
The ocarina is an extremely interesting idea... But, my team thought about chimes as well, and well, the range that they need to be in just makes it too much of a pain. You'd need huge chimes in order to get it at the required octave. And on top of that you'd have to make the chimes hollow and put it on some sort of stand since it has to be technically hanging off of something so that the chime can resonate and vibrate correctly. What my team was thinking was to maybe just have crystal classes which would be calibrated with the water inside them. Easier to transport as well.
It's so easy, even a Badger could do it.
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Homeschool Geek wrote:
I was looking at doing an ocarina, but found that since it's a vessel flute it can't be overblown. You will be able to play the required scale on an ocarina, but you won't be able to play the full scorable range or any accidentals very easily.
Absolutely right. There are multi-chambered ocarinas, where one chamber could handle each octave. But that sounds hard to play unless you grow a few more arms.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008

Return to “2011 Build Events”