AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by AlphaTauri »

zyzzyva98 wrote:In the rules, there's an octave listed for the percussion instrument that is required. I don't know it off hand, but it makes up about 13 notes. Make those first, then add on to until you either get to the allowable limit or run out of time/supplies.
The required octave for the percussion instrument is G2 to G3 (if you don't know what that means, to put it in perspective, "Middle C" on a piano is C4 and the A 440 often used for tuning of string instruments is A4). And you will have to have an F# to be able to play the G major scale.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
personasaurus rex
Division: C
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by personasaurus rex »

So i'm building a trombone and we have noooo clue what to do with the mouthpiece. So anyone out there have any ideas on how to make a mouthpiece and what to make it with? thankssss
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It
Bogoradwee
State: MI

Post by Bogoradwee »

personasaurus rex wrote:So i'm building a trombone and we have noooo clue what to do with the mouthpiece. So anyone out there have any ideas on how to make a mouthpiece and what to make it with? thankssss
I'm just using a pvc connector, or something like that. It works pretty well. I too, am building a trombone!
Science Olympiad: Guessing and BSing our way to victory!
Btw, if you see me in IRC chat, I'm Exothermic
2009: I don't remember/ not very noteworthy.
2010: See above.
2011: Regionals- 3rd WIDI, 3rd Optics, 3rd Fossils, 3rd overall States- 4th WIDI
personasaurus rex

Bogoradwee wrote:
personasaurus rex wrote:So i'm building a trombone and we have noooo clue what to do with the mouthpiece. So anyone out there have any ideas on how to make a mouthpiece and what to make it with? thankssss
I'm just using a pvc connector, or something like that. It works pretty well. I too, am building a trombone!
yesss trombones! haha yea it's one of the easiest wind instruments to make because it's just pipes that slide in and out of each other, so no reeds and buttons and whatnot...
thanks! but does it fit your mouth easily?
sciolywiz
State: IL

Post by sciolywiz »

when i started measuring out different lengths for pipes to make a glockenspiel type percussion instrument, the different lengths always provided somewhat of the same note and the note is very unclear. The type of pipe im using are hollow copper pipes .5 in in diameter. is it the type of material im using thats preventing the clear pitches? otherwise, are there any other suggestions for the percussion instrument?
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Well, your problem may be that you don't have anything cushioning the nodes. If you just put the bar on the table and hit it, then you're not going to get the tone quality you need. Try supporting the nodes, and if that doesn't work, make sure your material is of good quality.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
personasaurus rex

zyzzyva98 wrote:Well, your problem may be that you don't have anything cushioning the nodes. If you just put the bar on the table and hit it, then you're not going to get the tone quality you need. Try supporting the nodes, and if that doesn't work, make sure your material is of good quality.
is there a way to calculate where the nodes are located on the wood (or whatever) piece?
sciolywiz

Post by sciolywiz »

i tied string around the nodal points (22.4% from either side) and hung it in the air to hit it and the sound is very shaky and the notes all sound the same. Im not sure what other metal i should use or if there is anything else going wrong with this?
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Well, first make sure you cut the pipe the right length, and make sure you're using a good mallet. This is an interesting dilemma. Maybe the sound you are hearing is the echo of the sound originally produced, that can sound a bit shaky.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
sciolywiz

Post by sciolywiz »

is there any way to reduce the sound of the echo for copper bars?

Return to “2011 Build Events”