Robot Arm B/C [Trial]

Re: Robot Arm B/C [Trial]

Postby chalker on Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:11 pm

rjm wrote:We considered buying the OWI kit and trying it, but when I layed out the field to scale in AutoCAD and checked the reach to each goal, we realized that the OWI kit couldn't reach much of anything, so we dropped the idea. I found some arm kits online for which were fairly expensive which could reach better. It's hard to justify spending much money on the trial events.

I"m curious, did you get detailed specs from OWI or did you just estimate based upon the general product description regarding size / reach / etc? There is a lot of room for interpretation in what the generic specs actually mean.
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Check out the new OFFICIAL Science Olympiad mobile app on Apple iTunes and Google Play!
http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=172&p=252488&sid=23f6f3f0a11589d3b9e82f598b093c90#p252424
chalker

Division: Grad
State: OH

Postby rjm on Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:58 am

We didn't explore it that far; I was looking at the advertised information on the OWI Robotic Arm Trainer Kit, which claims a maximum horizontal reach of 360 mm and a maximum lifting capacity of 130 g. Depending on where that reach is measured - center of motion or edge of the base - this version of the OWI kit almost reaches the side goals. (It appears that the center of the base to the center of the side goal would be 403 mm.) With homemade end effectors or extensions on the stock gripper, the side goals are just scoreable, the northernmost goals are out of reach, and the capacity will drop off with the extension of the reach. Frankly, we didn't have the time, resources, or interest to do much more than learn to operate a kit for a trial, and this one didn't really fit the event. When the event goes live next year, we'll deal with it.

Bob Monetza
Grand Haven, MI
rjm

Postby whadk on Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:09 am

Dark Sabre wrote:Indiana chose not to run Sumo, but they are using Robot Ramble instead: https://www.indianascienceolympiad.org/news/detail.cfm?newsID=29

ehhh?
RWARRRR :)
whadk

Division: C
State: IN

Postby whadk on Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:09 am

I still heard it's an actual event in nationals though,,
whadk

Postby jander14indoor on Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:28 am

Its a trial event at nationals this year. Anyone can compete, primary or alternate team members. Medals awarded, but does not count towards team score.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
jander14indoor

Postby chalker7 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:33 am

I think whadk was asking about Sumo Bots, which is still a full event at nationals. What Jeff is referring to above is the way Robot Arm will be run there.
National event supervisor - Helicopters
chalker7

State: IL

Postby whadk on Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:46 am

chalker7 wrote:I think whadk was asking about Sumo Bots, which is still a full event at nationals. What Jeff is referring to above is the way Robot Arm will be run there.

yea,,i was referring to Sumo,,
whadk

Postby questionguy on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:44 pm

Are there any pictures or videos from any of the competitions with Robot Arm as a trial event? Just trying to visualize what a completed one might look like.
questionguy

State: VA

Postby andrew_cockman on Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:01 pm

does anyone have pictures of robot arm, THAT DOESN'T use vex kits. That can also reach all the way across the field.
andrew_cockman

Postby science95 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:13 am

In controling the robotic arm, are computers allowed? Also, if they are allowed, is preprogramming the computer allowed?
science95

State: TN

Postby chalker7 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:50 am

science95 wrote:In controling the robotic arm, are computers allowed? Also, if they are allowed, is preprogramming the computer allowed?

You might run into a problem with rule 2.b (it doesn't list preprogramming as an option). That being said, I'd submit an official clarification.
chalker7

Postby science95 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:00 pm

chalker7 wrote:
science95 wrote:In controling the robotic arm, are computers allowed? Also, if they are allowed, is preprogramming the computer allowed?

You might run into a problem with rule 2.b (it doesn't list preprogramming as an option). That being said, I'd submit an official clarification.

How do I submit an official clarification?
science95

State: TN

Postby chalker7 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:29 pm

science95 wrote:
chalker7 wrote:

How do I submit an official clarification?

Are you talking for your state or for the national competition? The national form is here: http://www.soinc.org/official_rules_clarif but it appears that you can't directly submit a question on trial events. I'd suggest submitting one through the general questions category: http://soinc.org/general_questions
and explaining why it's going there instead of elsewhere.
chalker7

Postby jander14indoor on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:44 pm

The purpose of trial events is just exactly this, to work out the kinks in a set of rules before they become official. Use or non-use of computers in this event is pretty significant so better definition is needed. In addition to the general comments chalker7 suggested, please encourage event supervisors to provide feedback through their state and national event directors to the rules committees.

thanks,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
jander14indoor

Postby andrew_cockman on Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:54 pm

The laptop is a good idea BUT! the jug wich is worth the most points has two differnent locations so your banking alot on you guessed on the right location
andrew_cockman

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Building Events