Microbe Mission B/C

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby Starapollo1 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:35 pm

FullMetalMaple wrote:
dvd wrote:Letter e of the rules seems pretty vague, it states:
"Diseases caused by different kind of microbes and the treatment/prevention of these diseases."

When it just states "diseases", this could even be interpreted as identification of the diseases. Do you think that we would be asked to identify a disease causing agent, such as Bacillus anthracis?

Possibly. I did at my state competition - we had to look at pathogens underneath a microscope and identify which disease they cause, as well as the specific type of bacteria, etc. that causes the disease. For example, the type of virus that causes chicken pox (varicella zoster).

Hey did you find a site that was helpful with the identification of the specifical bacteria? I know some are common sense but for the more trick ones i really want to go over and I don't have a lot of sources... :)
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
Starapollo1

Division: Grad
State: IN

Postby FullMetalMaple on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:38 pm

Starapollo1 wrote:Hey did you find a site that was helpful with the identification of the specifical bacteria? I know some are common sense but for the more trick ones i really want to go over and I don't have a lot of sources... :)

I actually had it all in a book... (Schaum's Outlines of Microbiology, which I found while tagging along on my brother's college visit, haha) I'll look to see if I can find something to help you.
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

State: KS

Postby Starapollo1 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:41 pm

Why are you so amazing?? And WHY do you live in Kansas!!! lol jk :)
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
Starapollo1

Postby FullMetalMaple on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Starapollo1 wrote:Why are you so amazing?? And WHY do you live in Kansas!!! lol jk :)

I just have lots of time on my hands now that my team's season is over. And I'm sorry - I actually don't live in Kansas by choice. I'm Canadian. :P But thank you.
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Starapollo1 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:00 pm

I'll look up the book when I get a chance, thanks FMM!! :D
Last edited by Starapollo1 on Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starapollo1

Postby amerikestrel on Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:23 pm

Could you guys please try to stay on topic? That discussion belongs in general chat.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Division: C
State: PA

Postby FullMetalMaple on Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:11 pm

Yeah, I was going to ask if we could move it somewhere else. I'll PM you my thoughts on that story, Star. (: And you're very welcome. I'll probably put what I find about the diseases on the MM wiki when I finish going through the list.
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby PacificGoldenPlover on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:29 pm

I am not sure if this has been posted already, but is anyone expecting a significant change in Microbe Mission's rules for next year? If so, what?
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 297
Most recent lifer: Lewis's Woodpecker

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/-)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/-)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/-)
PacificGoldenPlover

Location: Somewhere where you don't normally see Pacific Golden Plovers
State: CA

Postby The Eviscerator on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:36 pm

PacificGoldenPlover wrote:I am not sure if this has been posted already, but is anyone expecting a significant change in Microbe Mission's rules for next year? If so, what?

Probably not as Microbe Mission is basically microbiology and not really a specific part of microbiology. Although they could change up the disease list or make it more of a lab than a written test.
RCHS
The Eviscerator

State: NC

Postby FullMetalMaple on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:37 pm

PacificGoldenPlover wrote:I am not sure if this has been posted already, but is anyone expecting a significant change in Microbe Mission's rules for next year? If so, what?

Not really, unless there's a focus on a certain type of microbe (viruses or archaea, please!). If there's too much focus on pathogens and diseases, it's too close to Disease Detectives; if there's too much about uses, it's too close to Ecology or maybe even Food Science (if that becomes an event next year).
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby PacificGoldenPlover on Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:20 pm

FullMetalMaple wrote:

Not really, unless there's a focus on a certain type of microbe (viruses or archaea, please!). If there's too much focus on pathogens and diseases, it's too close to Disease Detectives; if there's too much about uses, it's too close to Ecology or maybe even Food Science (if that becomes an event next year).

This year for OC Regionals the test didn't really seem to be related to any of the above, or Microbe Mission. There were several questions about agar plates, deeps, etc, and on national material. It would be great if they would focus on a specific microbe, though it would seem that that would conflict with the biology event (Forestry)
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 297
Most recent lifer: Lewis's Woodpecker

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/-)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/-)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/-)
PacificGoldenPlover

Location: Somewhere where you don't normally see Pacific Golden Plovers
State: CA

Postby The Eviscerator on Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:34 pm

PacificGoldenPlover wrote:
FullMetalMaple wrote:

This year for OC Regionals the test didn't really seem to be related to any of the above, or Microbe Mission. There were several questions about agar plates, deeps, etc, and on national material. It would be great if they would focus on a specific microbe, though it would seem that that would conflict with the biology event (Forestry)

Your test was probably a bit more about microbiology in labs then. It depends on who writes your test, so that may be why the focus of your test was different.
RCHS
The Eviscerator

State: NC

Postby TheWiseGirl on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:10 pm

Hey guys, so I feel a lot better about Microbe Mission. Thanks to all of you who helped me after my little freak out session. :)
But anyways, my question is that my partner and I looked up all the specific microbe names that caused diseases (ie: chicken pox is caused by the Varicella-Zoster virus). But some of the diseases I couldn't find specific microbe names. Like for Rabies all I got was the Rabies Virus. Not exactly helpful...but if that's the best I can find do I just leave it? If they ask on the test for the specific name do I just put that down?
I'm quirky like a quark.
TheWiseGirl

State: WA

Postby amerikestrel on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:14 pm

TheWiseGirl wrote:Hey guys, so I feel a lot better about Microbe Mission. Thanks to all of you who helped me after my little freak out session. :)
But anyways, my question is that my partner and I looked up all the specific microbe names that caused diseases (ie: chicken pox is caused by the Varicella-Zoster virus). But some of the diseases I couldn't find specific microbe names. Like for Rabies all I got was the Rabies Virus. Not exactly helpful...but if that's the best I can find do I just leave it? If they ask on the test for the specific name do I just put that down?

The rabies virus causes rabies. The poliovirus causes polio. The Varicella zoster virus causes chicken pox. Those are just the names of the viruses.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

State: PA

Postby FullMetalMaple on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:15 pm

TheWiseGirl wrote:Hey guys, so I feel a lot better about Microbe Mission. Thanks to all of you who helped me after my little freak out session. :)

Good to hear. :3

I have a section on the wiki in progress about that. It is the rabies virus, but the specific family and genus is Rhabdoviridae Lyssavirus. Sometimes, you have to dig around a bit for that. There are also certain types, such as poliovirus, with names that really are that simple.

I find it most difficult for viruses. Specific types of bacteria are easier to find.

As for my experience with tests, I've found they will ask for specifics.
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Lab Events