Microbe Mission B/C

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby sweetgirl964 on Thu May 12, 2011 6:13 pm

Does anyone know what homeostasis is?
sweetgirl964
Member
Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm
Division: B
State: IL

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby FullMetalMaple on Thu May 12, 2011 10:18 pm

sweetgirl964 wrote:What exactly is Microbial Competition?

Competition between microbes over things such as food, space, etc. Think survival of the fittest and struggle for existence.
sweetgirl964 wrote:Does anyone know what homeostasis is?

Homeostasis is regulating internal conditions. For example, humans sweat to maintain their body temperature. It's also a traditional requirement for life.
User avatar
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:39 pm
Location: Universitas Dallasensis
Division: Grad
State: KS

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby sweetgirl964 on Fri May 13, 2011 4:56 pm

Thanks!
sweetgirl964
Member
Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm
Division: B
State: IL

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby dvd on Sat May 14, 2011 9:51 pm

I'm a little confused on what "Causes and effects of microbial population explosions" means. I know factors that can increase/decrease microbial growth, but what exactly is the cause or effect of an "explosion"?
2011 Regional, States, National Events
Disease Detectives- N/A, 3rd, 9th
Anatomy- 1st, 2nd, 20th
Microbe Mission- 2nd, 3rd, 4th
WIDI- 1st, 2nd, 38th
Fossils- 2nd, N/A, N/A
Compute This- 4th, 4th, N/A
Team- 1st, 1st, 11th

Medal Count: 32
Moving on to C division
User avatar
dvd
Member
Member
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:56 pm
Location: SHHS
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby amerikestrel on Sat May 14, 2011 10:12 pm

dvd wrote:I'm a little confused on what "Causes and effects of microbial population explosions" means. I know factors that can increase/decrease microbial growth, but what exactly is the cause or effect of an "explosion"?

I think that's mostly referring to algal blooms.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
User avatar
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
 
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:10 am
Location: SCAHS
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby QuantumLeaper on Tue May 17, 2011 4:59 pm

amerikestrel wrote:
dvd wrote:I'm a little confused on what "Causes and effects of microbial population explosions" means. I know factors that can increase/decrease microbial growth, but what exactly is the cause or effect of an "explosion"?

I think that's mostly referring to algal blooms.


That sounds about right.

I'm thinking about doing this event next year since the people who did Microbe Mission are graduating. A little intimidated (biology of any kind is NOT my strong suit), but I'm going to prepare over the summer. I'll check the Wiki, but can anyone direct me to some good practice tests otherwise?
"I know that the molecules in my body are traceable to phenomena in the cosmos. That makes me want to grab people on the street and say: ‘Have you HEARD THIS?"

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
QuantumLeaper
Member
Member
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:12 pm
Location: Uncertain
Division: C
State: RI

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby amerikestrel on Tue May 17, 2011 5:17 pm

QuantumLeaper wrote:
amerikestrel wrote:
dvd wrote:I'm a little confused on what "Causes and effects of microbial population explosions" means. I know factors that can increase/decrease microbial growth, but what exactly is the cause or effect of an "explosion"?

I think that's mostly referring to algal blooms.


That sounds about right.

I'm thinking about doing this event next year since the people who did Microbe Mission are graduating. A little intimidated (biology of any kind is NOT my strong suit), but I'm going to prepare over the summer. I'll check the Wiki, but can anyone direct me to some good practice tests otherwise?

Probably the best thing you can do is to get your hands on a bio textbook and read any relevant chapters. If you can get a microbiology textbook that's even better. I'd recommend "Microbiology the Easy Way" – it goes pretty in-depth, but it's not hard to understand.

When you start make sure you learn the characteristics of the microbes and their differences – Wikipedia is great for this. Also, sit down and memorize cell parts, microscope parts, etc. This will make it SO much easier later on.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
User avatar
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
 
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:10 am
Location: SCAHS
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby QuantumLeaper on Tue May 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Thank you so much! Those are exCELLent (lame joke :oops: ) suggestions that I definitely will follow. In all seriousness, I really want our team to do well in this event. We didn't do so well compared to some of the other events, so fingers crossed for next year!
"I know that the molecules in my body are traceable to phenomena in the cosmos. That makes me want to grab people on the street and say: ‘Have you HEARD THIS?"

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
QuantumLeaper
Member
Member
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:12 pm
Location: Uncertain
Division: C
State: RI

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby dvd on Tue May 17, 2011 6:03 pm

Ergotism is a disease that affects animals, yet it is under plant diseases. Do you think we are supposed to know the treatment and prevention for ergotism or for ergot (the one that affects plants)?
2011 Regional, States, National Events
Disease Detectives- N/A, 3rd, 9th
Anatomy- 1st, 2nd, 20th
Microbe Mission- 2nd, 3rd, 4th
WIDI- 1st, 2nd, 38th
Fossils- 2nd, N/A, N/A
Compute This- 4th, 4th, N/A
Team- 1st, 1st, 11th

Medal Count: 32
Moving on to C division
User avatar
dvd
Member
Member
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:56 pm
Location: SHHS
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby QuantumLeaper on Tue May 24, 2011 10:48 am

For all of you who went to Nationals, what was the test like for this event?
"I know that the molecules in my body are traceable to phenomena in the cosmos. That makes me want to grab people on the street and say: ‘Have you HEARD THIS?"

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
QuantumLeaper
Member
Member
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:12 pm
Location: Uncertain
Division: C
State: RI

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby Starapollo1 on Tue May 24, 2011 11:27 am

QuantumLeaper wrote:For all of you who went to Nationals, what was the test like for this event?


The test was awesome! It was relatively easy (which means missing a few or more landed you in an insanely low placing) but it was still a good test! The guy running it was really funny too, it was worth not placing just because of him! lol
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
Starapollo1
Member
Member
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:55 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby biribiri on Wed May 25, 2011 7:21 pm

Any ideas on what kind of rule changes will be made next year for this event? Do you guys think the list of microbial diseases will generally stay the same?
(ノゝ∀・)~☆
User avatar
biribiri
Member
Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:38 pm
Division: C
State: -

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby NYLHVSSO on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:19 pm

Not sure if it will be here next year.
It is a completely new event as of this year.
For some reason, at my regional competition, they asked about diseases that were not on the list.
User inactive
2012 Regionals:
1st Compute This, 2nd Microbe Mission, 2nd Experimental Design, 1st Team
2012 States:
11th Compute This, 14th Experimental Design, 6th Forestry, 9th Microbe Mission, 7th Team
2011 Regionals:
1st Can't Judge a Powder, 2nd Microbe Mission, 4th Team
User avatar
NYLHVSSO
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:17 pm
Location: Jericho, NY
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby beaverkid on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:56 pm

Did you ask your coach to file an appeal and did anyone else complain about it? I've heard that NY use the same test for multiple regionals, did anyone else from another regional have that problem?
beaverkid
Member
Member
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby FullMetalMaple on Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:46 pm

NYLHVSSO wrote:For some reason, at my regional competition, they asked about diseases that were not on the list.

That's pretty common, it seems. I've certainly seen diseases not on the list before - I think there might have been one on my state test.
biribiri wrote:Any ideas on what kind of rule changes will be made next year for this event? Do you guys think the list of microbial diseases will generally stay the same?

If this event sticks around (not sure why it wouldn't), I don't know why the diseases would be the same. It would be more fun if they switched around.
User avatar
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:39 pm
Location: Universitas Dallasensis
Division: Grad
State: KS

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Lab Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest