Ornithology B/C

chia
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by chia »

FueL wrote:I filled up one two-sided page by taking notes from this website a few days before regionals.
O.O
Why have I never seen that website before? -facepalm-
kjhsscioly wrote:I can't poat it now, but there is a set of three huge bird charts in deviantart, and while they aren't extremely detailed, they help with the general ID and feature of families of bird. I will see if I can post a link later.
I saved them to my flash drive... which I then lost... :|

I see red-winged blackbirds all over the place because I live relatively near a prairie which has some large ponds. Standard robins, cardinals, whatever... I saw a white-breasted nuthatch once, and a tufted titmouse. Also maybe a Clark's Nutcracker when I went to Colorado.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
mingtian
Division: C
State: PA

Post by mingtian »

chia wrote:I saved them to my flash drive... which I then lost... :|
I hate it when that happens. After I lost my first flashdrive, I've been backing up everything on my desktop and then transferring it onto my flashdrive.
Teal
State: WA

Post by Teal »

Thank you so much for that website! You have no idea how helpful it was.
By the way guys - what's the difference between Longitudinal and Elliptical (egg shaped wise?)

high school: birds, trees, widi, expdes, mousetrap, gravity
from the evergreen state to the farm, '17!
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by amerikestrel »

I'm pretty sure elliptical is more of an ellipse shape, while longitudinal tapers off a bit at one end. Might be wrong, but that's what it looks like from the picture.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
sciencegeek100
State: CA

Post by sciencegeek100 »

have anybody found anything about the Dunlin... I looked on all the sourced i use and they all have very little....
Nationals History...

2008: Team 1st, Rocks 2nd
2009: Team 3rd, Fossils 7th
2010: Team 5th, Fossils 4th, Ornithology 7th Egg o Naut 6th
2011: Team 4th, Ornithology 3rd
2012: Team 2nd (Assistant Coach)
2013: Team 3rd (Assistant Coach)
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by paleonaps »

paleonaps wrote:Mine is at.....(counts)...18? That can't be right.
I guess I'm not that observant.
I actually recounted, and I'm at 39. But I'm still ashamed.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
Justine
State: MI

Post by Justine »

Does anyone know why there is not just one national test that all regional competitions use? Why do they make each regional come up with their own tests? Because (and please don't think I'm being grouchy because I didn't study enough and the test was difficult--because it's just the opposite) it is totally unfair that I put in so many hours in Orthnithology, to get to the test and have a couple slides with the most obvious birds pictured--the bald eagle, a ruby-throated hummingbird--and hardly any questions about them. The most 'difficult' bird was a male Tufted Titmouse (not that difficult). Anyway, why can't we have one uniform test? These test that we get are so often not even on topic (my microbe mission test was more like a disease detective quiz)...
soccerkid812

Post by soccerkid812 »

Justine wrote:Does anyone know why there is not just one national test that all regional competitions use? Why do they make each regional come up with their own tests? Because (and please don't think I'm being grouchy because I didn't study enough and the test was difficult--because it's just the opposite) it is totally unfair that I put in so many hours in Orthnithology, to get to the test and have a couple slides with the most obvious birds pictured--the bald eagle, a ruby-throated hummingbird--and hardly any questions about them. The most 'difficult' bird was a male Tufted Titmouse (not that difficult). Anyway, why can't we have one uniform test? These test that we get are so often not even on topic (my microbe mission test was more like a disease detective quiz)...
different states have their regionals and state tournaments on different days
so it would be unfair
mingtian

Post by mingtian »

Justine wrote:Does anyone know why there is not just one national test that all regional competitions use? Why do they make each regional come up with their own tests? Because (and please don't think I'm being grouchy because I didn't study enough and the test was difficult--because it's just the opposite) it is totally unfair that I put in so many hours in Orthnithology, to get to the test and have a couple slides with the most obvious birds pictured--the bald eagle, a ruby-throated hummingbird--and hardly any questions about them. The most 'difficult' bird was a male Tufted Titmouse (not that difficult). Anyway, why can't we have one uniform test? These test that we get are so often not even on topic (my microbe mission test was more like a disease detective quiz)...
I guess the reason is that every state has many regions. Many of the regions have competitions on different days. That way, if every regions' tests were the same, people could cheat by giving answers away. At my competitions, if there's a question I don't get, I ask people on scioly. People could use that to cheat.
Darn, soccerkid beat me.
sciolygrl258

Post by sciolygrl258 »

Different regions have their competitions on different days so if there was only one test, people could tell others the answers on sites like this. The difficuly of the test depends on the team too. Not all test writers even look at the rules... but thats the way it is sometimes. It's annoying to study hours and get a simple test, but its better than getting a hard one, not knowing the answers and placing badly. ;)
PA STATES 2012:
Optics: 3rd
Experimental Design: 5th

Team: 1st!!!!! XDD

17 hr bus drive to Orlando? I think yes! ^o^

Return to “2011 Study Events”