Preliminary:Forestry

Cheesy Pie
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Preliminary:Forestry

Post by Cheesy Pie »

kjhsscioly wrote:I was digging through a veritable treasure trove of old scioly tests and paper this afternoon (read: 1 meter tall pile of paper :x = large recycle bin filled + filing box worth of old tests :D ). I found the old forestry binder, which wasn't too useful, but I also found many tests, which I will upload later. The most important thing I found was that IL has actually released a very short (50-60 specimen) list of trees to use for state, which is extremely useful. I think the forestry test they gave was not heavily specimen based, but rather more multiple choice.
Thanks! What years are they? Thx!
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly »

PacificGoldenPlover wrote:I'm not saying just cramming every stray thing you can find, but just organizing every tree, adding photocopied info from 2 or three books, get some internet information, scan every page before you put it in, etc. Having a well-organized binder and putting as much stuff in as possible are not mutually exclusive.
Our team hasn't even brought a book for fossils, they just put all the pages inside the binder, and they did pretty well also.
Meh, it might just be me, but I'd rather type up stuff than scan. It seems neater, and I prefer that the pages of my binder look very uniform. And I agree; good organization and cramming stuff in isn't exclusive, but I'd rather be able to find everything than have a ton of info and not know what to do with it. But bringing a book is always good too... just in case. Nats was the only competition we actually looked in our book, because we had a bit of extra time. Also, we beat you guys at Fossils at nats :P
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by paleonaps »

We didn't look in our book. Also, we beat you guys at Fossils at nats :P
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly »

paleonaps wrote:We didn't look in our book. Also, we beat you guys at Fossils at nats :P
Touché, touché. Well, my point about binders still stands, at least.
tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

kjhsscioly wrote:I was digging through a veritable treasure trove of old scioly tests and paper this afternoon (read: 1 meter tall pile of paper :x = large recycle bin filled + filing box worth of old tests :D ). I found the old forestry binder, which wasn't too useful, but I also found many tests, which I will upload later. The most important thing I found was that IL has actually released a very short (50-60 specimen) list of trees to use for state, which is extremely useful. I think the forestry test they gave was not heavily specimen based, but rather more multiple choice.
GASP!

OHOHOH please post this on the IL 2011 forum or here even..PLEASEEEE.. (darn...just when school starts tomorrow...the list is discovered >.<)
peter, peter, peter
NYLHVSSO
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by NYLHVSSO »

Science Olympiad's soinc.org website already has Forestry on their official 2012 list and the page is set up, but with no information. Which means the 2012 Forestry List is coming out soon.
2014 New York City Div C Regionals
2012 New York Div B States
2012 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
2011 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
tornado guy
State: WA

Post by tornado guy »

NYLHVSSO wrote:Science Olympiad's soinc.org website already has Forestry on their official 2012 list and the page is set up, but with no information. Which means the 2012 Forestry List is coming out soon.
The official rulebooks come out September 6th. I'm guessing around that time is when the Forestry list will come out..
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

ahh....the suspense
peter, peter, peter
JSGandora
State: NJ

Post by JSGandora »

How are you guys distinguishing the bark? They all look exceedingly similar to each other and some bark looks different on the internet than on the field guide. In fact, there are even different pictures on the internet.

Take for example, the redwood bark:
It should be much redder than that like this:

The pine bark is really hard to distinguish between each species. Does anyone have any tips?

Return to “2011 Study Events”