robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Build Techniques

Post by robotman »

Well thought it would be good to start discussing build techniques.
I make a frame to build the different parts of a tower and connect them using a cardboard inner frame to lean the base sides against.

So discussions on building techniques or better ideas?
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Been thanked: 0

Re: Build Techniques

Post by Paradox21 »

I haven't built a tower yet, but I was thinking I would try building it in 2 sections. With the chimney (the part that must constrict to a certain diameter) being fully constructed with a jig, then placed on the base of the tower, which would probably also use a jig.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
lllazar
Division: C
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

My first design right, to say, test the waters of tower building for me personally (as i was good at bridge but am new to towers), will involve the following:

Im planning to build the two sides of the tower using a template probably drawn out on a poster, which will then be taped to a piece of cardboard. Using thumbtacks, i will keep the pieces of wood from moving, and build.

I'll probably use a jig to then brace the two sides together.

I have a few questions on tower parameters...is there going to be a set diameter circle within which the top of the tower must fit?

Thanks
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by robotman »

lllazar wrote: I have a few questions on tower parameters...is there going to be a set diameter circle within which the top of the tower must fit?

Thanks
Yes from what i have seen there will be an circle that the top of the tower will have to fit through it will most likely be 8cm.
Edit the Wiki.
[chat][/chat]
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

If the restriction is 8cm (very likely) then assuming you use a square cross section, that would mean you would have to have a side length of about 5.6cm. of course the loading block will be 5cm by 5 cm, but to me, a taper of .6 cm across a length of 35cm is going to quickly lead to tipping over. So what would be the limit to the size your tower could taper to? If you are limited to a 1/4 inch loading bolt/chain (.6cm) then you could probably safely taper down to 1 cm? That would be plenty of taper.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by robotman »

Paradox21 wrote:If the restriction is 8cm (very likely) then assuming you use a square cross section, that would mean you would have to have a side length of about 5.6cm. of course the loading block will be 5cm by 5 cm, but to me, a taper of .6 cm across a length of 35cm is going to quickly lead to tipping over. So what would be the limit to the size your tower could taper to? If you are limited to a 1/4 inch loading bolt/chain (.6cm) then you could probably safely taper down to 1 cm? That would be plenty of taper.
Well that sounds like a good design.
The only problem I see with that is most of the loading blocks I have seen the bolt is larger than 1cm diameter.
Personally I wouldn't taper more than to 2cm just to make sure that the loading block wouldn't have a problem.
Edit the Wiki.
[chat][/chat]
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by Pleiades »

robotman09 wrote:
lllazar wrote: I have a few questions on tower parameters...is there going to be a set diameter circle within which the top of the tower must fit?

Thanks
Yes from what i have seen there will be an circle that the top of the tower will have to fit through it will most likely be 8cm.
Do you happen to know what will likely be defined as "top of the tower"? Upper 35cm?
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by robotman »

Pleiades wrote:
robotman09 wrote:

Thanks
Do you happen to know what will likely be defined as "top of the tower"? Upper 35cm?
It will be closer to 50 I believe
Edit the Wiki.
[chat][/chat]
nejanimb
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by nejanimb »

Pleiades wrote:
robotman09 wrote:

Thanks
Yes, upper 35 cm for C division.
Harriton '10, UVA '14
Event Supervisor in MA (prev. VA and NorCal)
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

I think Pleiadas means the part of the tower that must constrict to a certain diameter. For C div, that would be the top 35cm. The tower itself must be at least 50cm.

Return to “Towers B/C”