State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Build Techniques

Post by A Person »

SLM wrote:
huhhyea wrote:Heyy guyss.

So I'm making a tower for division C and I really need help right now...and it would be greattt if you could help me.
cuz literally NO ONE has ever done a building event at my school. (including myself. *sigh*)
two questions :

1. When you're making PAPER JIG for your glue... do you just draw lines or the whole thickness of each wood? I need help on how to make jig in general!!
2. When you're making X bracing....how do you glue two wood to form X? like, would you pave to put the other wood or just sort of bend the wood to glue them together?
_______________________________________So basically those questions are really important__________
and these are optional questions... :(
1. I'm using Titebond II ultimate wood glue -- is that too heavy?
2. I'm using only 1/8 balsa wood. Do you think it's worth getting 1/16 for bracing?
1. I am not sure what you mean by "paper jig." Are you referring to a two dimensional drawing on paper? Or, are you referring to a three dimensional form for assembling your tower?
2. If the X bracing has a relatively short length (say under 10 cm), it probably is not a good idea to bend one diagonal over the other. You may want to have one diagonal on one side and the other diagonal on the other side of the frame.
3. You can find lighter glue than titebond. See Entry 5 (2009-2010) here.
4. We have been using 1/16" x 1/16" for bracing without any problems.

Also, spend time reading the entries on this forum; you will find many practical tips for building towers.
I suggest using 1/8 wood and X bracing to start with and move to 3/32. I suggest Loctite super-glue so much.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
sr243
Division: C
State: WI

Post by sr243 »

I am wondering which is better for support. 1/8 by 1/8 low density or 3/32 by 3/32 medium density? Assume they weigh about the same.
iYOA
State: NJ

Post by iYOA »

1/8 by 1/8 low density would be better because its cross section is larger. To convince yourself on why this is true, just think about a 1g piece of 1/16 compared to a 1g piece of 1/8-of equal length of course. The 1/8 by 1/8 stick will easily hold more.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South
hpfananu
State: TX

Post by hpfananu »

iYOA wrote:1/8 by 1/8 low density would be better because its cross section is larger. To convince yourself on why this is true, just think about a 1g piece of 1/16 compared to a 1g piece of 1/8-of equal length of course. The 1/8 by 1/8 stick will easily hold more.
But I think someone said the opposite actually in another thread....
Won't 3/32 be better since technically it's a lot denser in terms of volume?
Materials Science|Water Quality|Disease Detectives
Sleep is for the Weak: SLHS SO 2012-2013
TAMS 2013-2014
Littleboy
State: MI

Post by Littleboy »

But then it gets too much weight. And 1/8 can still hold the right amount of weight and have no excess weight.
hpfananu
State: TX

Post by hpfananu »

Littleboy wrote:But then it gets too much weight. And 1/8 can still hold the right amount of weight and have no excess weight.
I think I may have confused myself then; I think it was that if the density was the same then the smaller one would do better. So basically what I understand is the 1/8 with lower density will do better? But if they are the same density the 3/32 will do better?
Materials Science|Water Quality|Disease Detectives
Sleep is for the Weak: SLHS SO 2012-2013
TAMS 2013-2014
iYOA
State: NJ

Post by iYOA »

yes. in general, less density but same weight will do better. It can be proved by euler's buckling theorem i think.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South
huhhyea
State: CT

Post by huhhyea »

hey guys, i have a dumb question.

what do we need to bring to the competition??? only the tower, right? no testing equipment?
thankss
hogger

Post by hogger »

huhhyea wrote:hey guys, i have a dumb question.

what do we need to bring to the competition??? only the tower, right? no testing equipment?
thankss
Your tower and goggles.
TYG
State: NY

Post by TYG »

Just a question out of curiosity, but how long (on average) does it take for <whoever reads this> to build a tower?

Return to “Towers B/C”