Transportation

soccerkid812
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Transportation

Post by soccerkid812 »

Freyssenet wrote:I read you live in GA, and the relative humidity outdoor there is high, in a building it will be considerably less... Balsa wood is exposed long enough will absorb water to be in equilbrium with the surrounding environment. I would check in a pharmacy , wallmart or other similar shops if the sell silica gel sacks... they are cheap...
ok thanks, ill definitely look into that
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly »

I made a sturdy wooden box with a teammate and, uh, that's our transport.
soccerkid812

Post by soccerkid812 »

Does anyone know what percent of a tower's weight is usually absorbed humidity?
iYOA
State: NJ

Post by iYOA »

now that this event is not an impound, it seems to be a good idea to use Silica Gel Desiccant bags. however, i heard that they actually can weaken the glue at joint? does anyone know what im talking about?

EDIT: @^ i think humidity can account for 5-10% of the weight but the tower will regain it pretty quickly.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South
soccerkid812

Post by soccerkid812 »

iYOA wrote:now that this event is not an impound, it seems to be a good idea to use Silica Gel Desiccant bags. however, i heard that they actually can weaken the glue at joint? does anyone know what im talking about?

EDIT: @^ i think humidity can account for 5-10% of the weight but the tower will regain it pretty quickly.
about how long does it take to regain?
lllazar
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

Lol just take the container to the testing area and take it out - assuming the tower is weighed within a few minutes of being removed, it can hardly gain any mass back.
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
iYOA
State: NJ

Post by iYOA »

I know this was discussed before but anyway, how should I pack my brdige for the competition? I Have a cardboard box and two different sized plastic ones...and last year I heard something about rice???

When I test bridges at school I Leave the bridges in my locker and by the end of the day they have lost at least .10 grams
Rice, if it starts out really dry, is a....somewhat efficient dessicant; like silica gel, it will absorb moisture out of the air. However, unless you have a truely sealed/air-tight container, it - or silica gel - won't have any effect. The difference in weight between really dry (like on those 10% relative humidity days we sometimes get in Colorado) and humid - like 90% rel humidity will run in the 0.2 to 0.4gr range. A "dry" structure will come to equilibrium with .....wetter air pretty quickly; light balsa taking 5-10 min, bass 10-15; most of the change in the first half of the time window. Bottom line, unless your event is being run in a way that you can go from dry, air-tight box to the official scale in less than 5 min, you gain nothing.

Pack it to protect it for the trip. Couple foam blocks glued into the box so it can't slop/rattle around work nicely. Goood luck.

State for us is Saturday

here is some information on it from last year's forums. In general, this has been discussed quite a lot before so i am sure there will be a decent amount of information on this in the 2009 forums as well.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South
deezee

Post by deezee »

rice works really well for soaking up moisture too. I did that for bridges last year.
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.
Lowell
Division: B
State: AL

Post by Lowell »

We transport our towers in a plastic bin with newspaper lightly crumpled in a layer on the bottom and then around the sides. Seems to work well. Once we get to the event, we find a heat source, like a vent or radiator, or at least a hot room and store it there.
deezee

Post by deezee »

I also use those inflated air bags you sometimes get in a box in the mail to cushion.
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.

Return to “Towers B/C”