Testing Apparatus Drawings

Tower_ Coach
Division: B
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Testing Apparatus Drawings

Post by Tower_ Coach »

I am new coach for the tower event. I will like to build a testing apparatus (sand loader) for the students, so they do not have the scoop the sand and risk hitting the bucket or the chain while loading the tower. Can anyone direct me to a web site with blue prints to build a testing apparatus? Can anyone share this information with me? Thanks and regards.
T-B
Division: C
State: NC
Been thanked: 0

Re: Testing Apparatus Drawings

Post by T-B »

I don't have a website to suggest, but NC Science Olympiad has a really great setup made from PVC pipe and a water cooler bottle. It looks easy to make and I've always thought they should make the plans available and use it as a fundraiser. It sends the sand down a tube into the bucket and also cuts off the flow when the tower breaks. Contact Jason @ http://www.sciencenc.com/.

Also Balsa Man who posts here regularly has a totally awesome structure tester which allows you to test to failure rather than to destruction. It saved us tons of building hours to use this. Basically it is a tripod tee-pee which suspends the chain from the apex and it goes down to hold the bucket. just at the loading block, you put a coupler with eye-loop bolts which allows you to limit the amount of deformation on the structure. Terrible explanation but awesome project. Search Balsa Man's postings for photos and a better description.
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Re: Testing Apparatus Drawings

Post by robotman »

Here are a set of plans for a cheap homebrew tester Plans
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]