Pulley Task

fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pulley Task

Post by fleet130 »

illusionist wrote:So the ratio of this pulley system is 3:1 right? In order to raise the mass 15cm, the string would have to be pulled at least 45cm?
That's correct! Ideal Mechanical Advantage (IMA) is the ratio of the output & input forces. It is equivalent to the ratio of the input and output distances.

Note: In the diagram above, the outputs of the second (smaller) fixed pulley and the movable pulley are both connected to the blue load, summing their forces, creating an IMA of 3.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
illusionist
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Pulley Task

Post by illusionist »

If I was to use string running through holes in the blocks, and then pulling the string vertical to raise the blocks method, could I use the pulley system to raise the blocks. But then the pulley system isn't actually going to "lift a mass". Could I tie a mass to the end of the string in the pulley system, and then attach the string for the blocks onto the mass?
Did that make any sense?

Return to “Mission Possible C”