Screw Task

Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Re: Screw Task

Post by Flavorflav »

Primate wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:I've seen it multiple times. It's legal.

Where is this oddball definition of parallel tasks coming from?
From event supervisors who don't agree. I've always been told to make sure there's a clear distinction between tasks.

This is the line of reasoning I was given (put in terms of this years tasks): Task f requires that you turn a screw so it moves an object, causing the next action. Task b requires that you use a force to move a wedge between two objects, causing them to separate and cause the next action. Therefore, the screw must cause an entirely separate task b; ie, a different force that moves a wedge between two objects. Otherwise, you're counting the screw/wedge mechanism as a double task.
That wasn't at States, was it? That was WLI?
illusionist
Division: C
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

In my opinion, it would be fine, so long as the screw moves the wedge two centimeters first, then the pushes the wedge between two objects, causing them to separate. Same thing, I also think it would be okay to use the screw to push a syringe for the Hydraulic task.
Primate
Been thanked: 0

Post by Primate »

Flavorflav wrote:That wasn't at States, was it? That was WLI?
Noo, it wasn't. I'm actually Midwestern, and it was last year anyway :P. The event supervisor is one of the nicest people I've ever met (for better or worse), so he let it slide, but any other supervisor who shared his views wouldn't have counted those tasks.
illusionist wrote:In my opinion, it would be fine, so long as the screw moves the wedge two centimeters first, then the pushes the wedge between two objects, causing them to separate. Same thing, I also think it would be okay to use the screw to push a syringe for the Hydraulic task.
But see, how does moving the wedge two centimeters cause the next action?
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

The wedge is pushed two cm by the screw. Then the screw pushes the wedge to separate the objects. So the wedge has to travel 2cm before touching the objects it will separate.
Primate
Been thanked: 0

Post by Primate »

illusionist wrote:The wedge is pushed two cm by the screw. Then the screw pushes the wedge to separate the objects. So the wedge has to travel 2cm before touching the objects it will separate.
Right, but the motion of the wedge doesn't trigger the next task. Something triggers the screw, the wedge moves 2cm. The wedge, however, doesn't trigger anything at this point; the screw just keeps turning and pushes the wedge between two objects.

Go with Uncle Fester on this; it appears my event supervisor was mistaken. Just be aware of the problems you might run into.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
Flavorflav
Division: Grad

Post by Flavorflav »

But what triggers the next action? The screw, or the separation of the objects? If its the screw then he's right and the wedge shouldn't score, but if it is the trwo objects separating then it is perfectly fine, IMO.

Return to “Mission Possible C”