Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Hydraulics Task

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for Hydraulics task.
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: AL
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hydraulics Task

Post by aubrey048 »

I think this is one of the simpler tasks this year. (The others are quite tricky, though, or so I've heard.)

I did MP last year. Last year they gave us a choice between hydraulics and pneumatics, and we chose pneumatics.

We went to a pharmacy and got some syringes, two to be exact. We stretched a tubing over the "pointier" end of each and connected the so that when one was pressed, on air traveled to the other and pressed the shaft outward. The same principle can apply to water. All you need is a weight to fall on the top of one of the syringes, and this reaction can start the next task.

Any questions??? (I will try my best to answer them . . .)
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
courage7856
State: IL

Post by courage7856 »

Not quite a question, but a suggestion. At my local Walgreens, they gave us syringes for free. All we had to do is ask at the pharmacy counter. I believe they were 5 cc.
There once was a group of teens
Who were lean mean science machines.
They liked to win medals,
when everything settles
and their favorite color was green.

2012: Forestry, Forensics, Water Quality, R and M
questionguy
State: VA

Post by questionguy »

How heavy or large does the mass have to be that will push on the syringe?
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

questionguy wrote:How heavy or large does the mass have to be that will push on the syringe?
Depends how much resistance your syringe has; the bigger your tubing/opening, the less force you'll need.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
questionguy

Post by questionguy »

aubrey048 wrote:I think this is one of the simpler tasks this year. (The others are quite tricky, though, or so I've heard.)

I did MP last year. Last year they gave us a choice between hydraulics and pneumatics, and we chose pneumatics.

We went to a pharmacy and got some syringes, two to be exact. We stretched a tubing over the "pointier" end of each and connected the so that when one was pressed, on air traveled to the other and pressed the shaft outward. The same principle can apply to water. All you need is a weight to fall on the top of one of the syringes, and this reaction can start the next task.

Where did you get your tubing to stretch over the syringes. Also, when your dropping the mass, how much did your syringes have to move for the next task to start?
courage7856
State: IL

Post by courage7856 »

questionguy wrote:
aubrey048 wrote:I think this is one of the simpler tasks this year. (The others are quite tricky, though, or so I've heard.)

Where did you get your tubing to stretch over the syringes. Also, when your dropping the mass, how much did your syringes have to move for the next task to start?
I got mine at Lowes. I don't remember how wide it was, but we got 3 feet (extra) and it cost us less than a dollar.
There once was a group of teens
Who were lean mean science machines.
They liked to win medals,
when everything settles
and their favorite color was green.

2012: Forestry, Forensics, Water Quality, R and M
elmono

Post by elmono »

questionguy wrote:

You can tubing from any pharmacy. We used 100 grams that we used from our physics teacher. You can use pullyes to hold them up and something that triggers the pulley to release the mass.
zcshiner
State: PA

Post by zcshiner »

questionguy wrote:Where did you get your tubing to stretch over the syringes.
We used aquarium tubing.

Return to “Mission Possible C”