Effervescence Task

illusionist
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Effervescence Task

Post by illusionist »

Does more Baking Soda and more Vinegar (same proportions, just larger amounts) mean more gas is produced?
Primate
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by Primate »

illusionist wrote:Does more Baking Soda and more Vinegar (same proportions, just larger amounts) mean more gas is produced?
Of course. Moles of products is directly proportional to moles of reactants.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
jarrred_1415
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by jarrred_1415 »

JTMess wrote:Our team is having quite a bit of trouble with the chemical reaction. We have tried a winch pulling up a balloon filled with baking soda and a pulley, but neither has been reliable at all. How are you guys mixing your baking soda and vinegar consistently? And are most people starting with their balloon on top of a bottle filled with either baking soda or vinegar? We tried to inject vinegar using a syringe but the connection from the syringe to the bottle wasn't completely airtight and the syringe was unreliable to depress even with a heavy weight and a spring. We would really appreciate any help!
i used teeter totters. pointed different directions and tied together with a string so that when the weight for my stacking blocks task fell on the one teeter totter it pulled the other one up which had the test tube with vinegar in it. the vinegar then poured in to the balloon and the chem rxn caused the balloon to inflate. i had a mirco-switch mounted close to the balloon so that the balloon in flating closed the circuit for the next task
killer225whale

Post by killer225whale »

JTMess wrote:Our team is having quite a bit of trouble with the chemical reaction. We have tried a winch pulling up a balloon filled with baking soda and a pulley, but neither has been reliable at all. How are you guys mixing your baking soda and vinegar consistently? And are most people starting with their balloon on top of a bottle filled with either baking soda or vinegar? We tried to inject vinegar using a syringe but the connection from the syringe to the bottle wasn't completely airtight and the syringe was unreliable to depress even with a heavy weight and a spring. We would really appreciate any help!
I used a syringe with vinegar - dropped 400 grams on top of it, and injected it into a little bottle via a tube I hot glued into the side. Works rather well. The balloon is fit around the actual bottle opening.
NinjaChicken
State: MI

Post by NinjaChicken »

(This is a repost, sorry I just didn't know which sub-forum to put it in)
Hey guys, I'm having troubles with the quantities of vinegar and baking soda that is needed to make the balloon expand. So far in all of my tests, the balloon has only been able to stand upright, but not expand. I've used about a quarter of a spoonful of baking soda with about 3 pipette-full shots of the largest of http://www.biolinki.com/modules/Consuma ... ipette.png these pipettes.

EDIT: Sorry, nevermind. I got frustrated and dumped a whole bunch together, and I realized I just needed a whole lot more than I was using XD
Image Image

Return to “Mission Possible C”