Temperature Task

illusionist
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Temperature Task

Post by illusionist »

Post deleted after I realized that water and electricity don't go well together.
austinfhs
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by austinfhs »

Dark Sabre wrote:That sounds pretty cool. Could you post a pic of that setup sometime?
We angrily ripped apart everything after everything decided to fail for the first time at states during competition :P
I'll draw it on Paint though. Working on it in a little bit.

Okay here it is:
So basically a nichrome wire was attached close to the back of a the bimetallic coil of a refrigerator thermometer (that's the orange wire, and the red and black lines are just hooking it up to a battery). Then we positioned the thermometer over a tub of water and put a pump in the water (could also be outside the water). The pump, triggered by the previous task, would pump water to cool the bimetallic coil as shown on the right, and just flow down into the tub of water (which caught any water). Even if the nichrome is left heating, it won't do anything to the bimetallic coil because it's still wet.

Cons:
1) Might take a while to set up
2) Our nichrome broke for some reason. Rapid cooling?
3) It's hard to figure out how this triggers the next task. We had the degree hand on the other side of the thermometer connect a circuit, but it was unreliable.

Goodluck to anyone who might actually use this o__o It's awfully close to nationals for mods!
NinjaChicken

Post by NinjaChicken »

illusionist wrote:Post deleted after I realized that water and electricity don't go well together.
Well maybe the previous task flipped a switch, cutting the circuit, and the water would make it cool a lot faster. The current wouldn't be running.. I guess?
Image Image
Littleboy

Post by Littleboy »

I don't know exactly what this task is supposed to do entirely, but couldn't you make it heat up using a short circuit? and drop ice on to cool it down?

Return to “Mission Possible C”