Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: KY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Peltiers

Post by Dark Sabre »

Pandemonium wrote:Can someone explain to me why Peltiers are illegal? I mean, just the plate itself. According to http://www.peltier-info.com/photos.html, it is just ceramic plates, semiconductors, and copper. I'm asking about just the plate itself. As far as I know, ceramics and copper aren't electronic devices, and conductors are allowed.

I'm kind of confused by the whole IC thing, too.
You should probably submit a clarification on this. Peltiers are basically just a bunch of thermocouples lumped together. And while thermocouples are just a little lump of semiconductor, they are an electronic device and are not on the approved list. I wouldn't consider a Peltier legal. You might want to get an official opinion on that.
Uncle Fester
State: IN

Re: Temperature Task

Post by Uncle Fester »

I wouldn''t waste any time on waiting for a clarification.

I looked deeper into the Peltier Junction thing, and decided that I am not going to allow it in the five tourney's I'll be judging. It's NOT a simple copper or aluminum plate, It's a semiconductor (Selenium Telluride), and semiconductors other than LEDs are not allowed. Simple. Can't find a more absolute rule than that. As far as the plate, it's just a heat sink. But why would you scrap an expensive Peltier just for the heat sink? I have piles of far better heat sinks from old salvaged amplifiers that I can't GIVE away.

As far as Events Supervisors knowing about Peltiers, there's already a story circulating amongst them (us) about someone who tried hiding Peltier wires; whether it actually IS a true story (I personally don't think it is, parts of it are somewhat fishy) or not, the result is that most event sups now know about them. And they'll check.
Uncle Fester, Maker & Fiction Science Writer

The Misadventures of the Electric Detention
The Revenge of the Electric Detention
The Curse of the Electric Detention
>> Three full-length adventures, 26 short stories and counting!
sj
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by sj »

I was looking through this thread and i see that people are saying they are trying bimetallic coils and nichrome wire. I was wondering how this worked since the rules call for a decrease in temperature...

Thanks in Advance!
2011 Nationals Results : Sumo Bots 2nd, Helicopters 4rd, Mission Possible 4th, Towers, 9th
WWP SOUTH 3rd At NATS!!!!!

2012 Events: Robot Arm, Towers, Gravity Vehicle
JTMess
State: NY

Post by JTMess »

You have to have the Nichrome preheated and then switch off the power so that the bimetallic strip cools and performs some action.
2014 States: Scrambler-2nd, Mission Possible-2nd, Experimental Design-3rd, Circuit Lab-3rd
2014 Regionals: Scrambler-1st, Mission-1st, Technical Problem Solving-1st, Circuit Lab-1st, Maglev-1st, Bungee Drop-1st
2013 States: Gravity Vehicle-1st, Fermi-8th, Maglev-1st
Pandemonium

Post by Pandemonium »

Dark Sabre wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:Can someone explain to me why Peltiers are illegal? I mean, just the plate itself. According to http://www.peltier-info.com/photos.html, it is just ceramic plates, semiconductors, and copper. I'm asking about just the plate itself. As far as I know, ceramics and copper aren't electronic devices, and conductors are allowed.

I'm kind of confused by the whole IC thing, too.
You should probably submit a clarification on this. Peltiers are basically just a bunch of thermocouples lumped together. And while thermocouples are just a little lump of semiconductor, they are an electronic device and are not on the approved list. I wouldn't consider a Peltier legal. You might want to get an official opinion on that.
Uncle Fester wrote:I wouldn''t waste any time on waiting for a clarification.

I looked deeper into the Peltier Junction thing, and decided that I am not going to allow it in the five tourney's I'll be judging. It's NOT a simple copper or aluminum plate, It's a semiconductor (Selenium Telluride), and semiconductors other than LEDs are not allowed. Simple. Can't find a more absolute rule than that. As far as the plate, it's just a heat sink. But why would you scrap an expensive Peltier just for the heat sink? I have piles of far better heat sinks from old salvaged amplifiers that I can't GIVE away.

As far as Events Supervisors knowing about Peltiers, there's already a story circulating amongst them (us) about someone who tried hiding Peltier wires; whether it actually IS a true story (I personally don't think it is, parts of it are somewhat fishy) or not, the result is that most event sups now know about them. And they'll check.

Thanks guys. Looks like it's back to the drawing board me. :roll:
NikitaB
State: NM

Post by NikitaB »

So are you guys essentially making hotplates out of the nichrome and putting your coils above them?
JTMess

Post by JTMess »

I was only able to heat about 5cm of Nichrome using a 6-volt lantern battery. What are you guys using for batteries?
2014 States: Scrambler-2nd, Mission Possible-2nd, Experimental Design-3rd, Circuit Lab-3rd
2014 Regionals: Scrambler-1st, Mission-1st, Technical Problem Solving-1st, Circuit Lab-1st, Maglev-1st, Bungee Drop-1st
2013 States: Gravity Vehicle-1st, Fermi-8th, Maglev-1st
zcshiner
State: PA

Post by zcshiner »

JTMess wrote:I was only able to heat about 5cm of Nichrome using a 6-volt lantern battery. What are you guys using for batteries?
We usually use rechargeable 7.2v RC batteries.
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

Would burning a monofilament count for the temperature task? My teammates are trying this and I want to make sure if its acceptable before they get too into it!
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
questionguy
State: VA

Post by questionguy »

aubrey048 wrote:Would burning a monofilament count for the temperature task? My teammates are trying this and I want to make sure if its acceptable before they get too into it!
No, the task says you have to decrease the temperature of something, burning the monofilament would just be increasing it.

Return to “Mission Possible C”